Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Re: Years and Years

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Why all the dissing of Emma Thompson. Who can deny that she is one of Britain's finest actresses?

Well she certainly wouldn't deny it, nor that she is entitled to tell us to do as she says, not as she does.

She's a good actress but tends to get people's backs up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Well she certainly wouldn't deny it, nor that she is entitled to tell us to do as she says, not as she does.

She's a good actress but tends to get people's backs up.
Like a lot of wealthy celebrities, she descends into the charity scene and gets a little too fond of preaching perhaps.
The worst ones are those like Bono who asks us to raise umpteen millions of pounds when he could stick his hand in his back pocket and pay for a million pound yacht or a rare painting. Hypocrites like him who have secret hideaways abroad full of money they should have paid tax with.
Dunno if Thompson is like this but she certainly had a very upper class upbringing which is a turn off to begin with.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Like a lot of wealthy celebrities, she descends into the charity scene and gets a little too fond of preaching perhaps.
The worst ones are those like Bono who asks us to raise umpteen millions of pounds when he could stick his hand in his back pocket and pay for a million pound yacht or a rare painting. Hypocrites like him who have secret hideaways abroad full of money they should have paid tax with.
Dunno if Thompson is like this but she certainly had a very upper class upbringing which is a turn off to begin with.
Upper class? What makes you think that?
Her father wrote the English version of The Magic Roundabout, and her grandfather was a hotel waiter.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Upper class? What makes you think that?
Her father wrote the English version of The Magic Roundabout, and her grandfather was a hotel waiter.
She's posh compared to Northern standards.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:03 PM

She's posh compared to Northern standards.
People are just people!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
People are just people!
Yes, as long as they don't think they are better than others because of their wealth, background or priveledged education or try to be something they are not.

Anyway, back to topic. Episode 2 was on tonight which I'll see when I get chance.

Just to reiterate, I like Emma thompson as an actress.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-05-2019, 11:32 PM

Second episode superb. Emma Thompson as always top of her game in this
Pyxell
South of England

30-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Having watched episode three, it is becoming rather disturbing, partly because it is very close to home.

Not far enough in the future to be 'fantasy', and the political and economic themes make for unsettling viewing, as they are so close to current events.

Not to mention the transhuman thing!

I shall be interested to see how it develops, if I can keep my nerve.

(I must admit, though, the special effects for the transhuman scene were very good! I won't give anything away).
Pyxell
South of England

05-06-2019, 06:29 AM

Well, episode 4 last night took a dramatic and unexpected turn!

I won't say what, for fear of a spoiler.
Pyxell
South of England

19-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Did you see the finale?

Wow!

What an ending!

And what a salutary warning!

Be afraid! Be very afraid!
If not for yourselves, then for your children/grandchildren.

Couldn't happen here? Hahahahahahahhaa! Famous last words!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top