Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Introducing our Supporting Members scheme

Hi Everyone

I've held off introducing a member subscription/donation scheme for as long as possible here on Over 50s Forum, but as we get bigger and busier, I think it's only fair we join Dogsey and Catsey by adding one here too... Over50sforum is actually not that far behind Dogsey in terms of activity now

A number of you have already enquired about adding them here, as well as whether there are any legitimate methods to turn off the animated adverts that show at the top of all pages - so hopefully this will be a welcome addition to some of you.

Firstly, what are these subs?

They are a way for any member to help towards the running cost of the site They can be paid as a one off annual payment, or as a monthly subscription. We have Silver, Gold and Diamond packages, and each come with benefits too, such as unlimited PM space.

Why do we need them?

As many of you know, Over 50s Forum is currently on Dogsey's server, and Over 50s Forum is now not that far behind Dogsey in terms of activity and pages the server has to serve. I know we have fewer people logging on everyday than we do on Dogsey, but we are chattier here

Supporting member packages have actually been on Dogsey pretty much since it started - which was ten years ago, so we've done really well keeping them off here for so long.

There's no pressure to get one!

Please note there is absolutely no pressure to get one - we know that not everyone can (or wants to) financially support a site. You are ALL helping this site and community just by being here, taking the time to reply to other people's threads, by posting interesting topics etc. This scheme is just for those who want it

Benefits and costs

I mentioned benefits, so here they are:

Annual packages can be paid for by Paypal or by credit card.

Costs

Silver Supporter - £10 annually
Gold Supporter - £25 annually
Diamond Supporter - £49 annually
Platinum Supporter - Same as Diamond (just in case anyone does not like Diamonds )

Want to see approximate prices in other currencies? Check out this post.

Benefits

Silver Supporter
Unlimited PM space
Can request read receipt when sending PMs
Access to Subscribing Members Forum
Removal of Google Adverts in the top bar

Gold Supporter
Same as Silver but with:
Removal of Google adverts in side column as well

Diamond & Platinum Supporter
Same as Gold Supporter
Removal of all other Google adverts as well

Ok I'm tempted, what do the pages look like after ads are removed?

Take a look at these screengrabs...

Silver (removal of ad at top)

Thread Listing Page
Thread Page

Gold, Diamond and Platinum (removal of ad at top and side)

Thread Listing Page
Thread Page

I hope this explains our Supporting Members Subscription Packages in more detail, and please please please remember there is absolutely no pressure to get one - I will genuinely be upset if anyone got one when they were not in a position to. They really are here for those who want to help with the running costs, or for those wishing to turn off adverts legitimately and have the means to do so (please do not discuss other methods to circumvent ads thanks!).

For those of you who decide to get one, thank you very much for your support and for everyone else, thanks for reading and your understanding. If anyone has any questions, please just ask.

If anyone's interested in getting one, you can find them here: http://www.over50sforum.com/payments.php
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Re: Introducing our Supporting Members scheme

That sounds fair enough Azz, I don’t mind supporting the running costs, and you do make it very clear that it’s up to the individual with absolutely no compulsion or pressure.
Don’t forget to make a list of euro’s and dollars as well, we ain’t all Brits you know, and there might be less of you tomorrow.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 12:57 PM

I don't mind the ads, there was a little blip recently, other than that, I'm fine with them .......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Oh, well, so now we can see who is helping with running costs.. I might have to have one
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 08:48 PM

errrr..........who the hell is Dogsy and Catsy???
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Lol. Don't you scroll down the home page when on a computer? It's pet sister sites.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanks to everyone who has taken one out and apologies for not having got the Supporting Members section up yet - I didn't think anyone would be getting one so soon I'll sort that out soon.

Also, I think we can change it a little bit, whereas the Silver Supporters also have the large Google Ad at the top removed, and the Gold has both ads at the top and the side removed, and the Diamond & Platinum will have all Google Ads removed (as we may add more ads later, such as in the footer or near the reply box, again like we have on Dogsey). I'll update the first post later.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That sounds fair enough Azz, I don’t mind supporting the running costs, and you do make it very clear that it’s up to the individual with absolutely no compulsion or pressure.
Don’t forget to make a list of euro’s and dollars as well, we ain’t all Brits you know, and there might be less of you tomorrow.

Good idea Jem. I think Paypal converts the amount to let people in other countries know the amount in their local currency but here's a quick conversation at today's exchange rates:

Edit: removed as now out of date. This can give you a better idea though

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I don't mind the ads, there was a little blip recently, other than that, I'm fine with them .......
Unlike some sites, we try to blend the ads in as much as we can and keep them to a minimum. However as mentioned above, we will probably be adding some more ads soon like we have on Dogsey and Catsey, but will do our best to make sure they blend in as much as possible

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Oh, well, so now we can see who is helping with running costs.. I might have to have one
Brilliant, thanks But as I said, no probs if you can't or don't want to

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
As Jazzi mentioned, Dogsey and Catsey are my first forums

www.dogsey.com
www.catsey.com

They are now a decade old gosh time flies!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

18-09-2014, 11:49 PM

Ok here's a few screengrabs to show how the ads are removed for Supporting Members:

Silver (removal of ad at top)

Thread Listing Page
Thread Page

Gold, Diamond and Platinum (removal of ad at top and side)

Thread Listing Page
Thread Page
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Me too.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 08:55 PM

So reading back over what you put Azz is those that don't pay subs will be getting more Adverts,,you did say you are going to add more adverts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top