Join for free
Page 50 of 98 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 02:30 PM

Re: Premium Bonds

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I have a £1 Premium bond that I got from an agency that I got a job through in Brighton in 1963. I don't seem to have won the million, (or the 50, or the 25 or the 10 etc etc)
You must be the supreme optimist Cid. l stand in awe of
you!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 02:44 PM

£75 win this month ,so not too bad
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Nowt for me this month, first month missed since last November.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Nothing again...sorry taking my cash out there are better ways of getting a return.
Well done Summer. Right decision imho. Good luck with your alternatives.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:21 AM

Yea......twenty five quid for me this month.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 10:05 AM

we have found we get better interest on our premium bond holdings than being invested in building society savings, and it is tax free. Last years total was £200 not bad for the number of bonds we have
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we have found we get better interest on our premium bond holdings than being invested in building society savings, and it is tax free. Last years total was £200 not bad for the number of bonds we have
Absolutely Realspeed, and although I only won £25 this month it's the principle of the thing....
Everyone likes to be a winner.....
It's certainly put a spring in my step today.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Care to put up all the numbers?

- How much money in total
- How many years has it been in
- Total winnings over the whole period
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-05-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Care to put up all the numbers?

- How much money in total
- How many years has it been in
- Total winnings over the whole period
I= we keep adding to the amount
2= regularly withdraw and reinvest with new numbers
3 = time period depend on 2 so unable to answer total winnings or numbers now. Needless to say we have done better than other means of saving for the same amount invested

That is the best answer I can give Realist. Even if I knew the total I would not divulge our financial affairs and definately not on a forum like this.

I will ask you the same questions back, being as inquisitive as you are. Are your savings getting the best interest
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 12:11 AM

4 surprising facts about Premium Bonds

https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/...11364225782385

Last updated: 17 September 2018 - 5.54pm

More than 22 million Brits are believed to currently hold Premium Bonds.

Given their popularity, you might think there's nothing new to learn about them.

Well, here are four things you (probably) didn’t know about your bonds.

1 Your odds of winning £1m falls each month...

If you don’t buy more bonds each month the odds of you winning the £1 million jackpot will decrease ever-so-slightly.

Why? Because the number of jackpots rarely rises – two £1 million prizes are given out each month – but the number of people holding Premium Bonds also increases, as more and more people put money in.

For example, the odds of a single bond being selected for a million-pound prize increased from one in 35.4 billion in September to one in 35.6 billion in October.

Granted, it's not a huge increase in percentage terms, but it does make that long shot that little bit longer.

2 ...but your chances of winning £25 increases

In order to maintain the average prize rate of 1.15% National Savings & Investments (NS&I) changes the amount paid out in prizes every month to reflect how many Premium Bonds are held.

But, they don’t tend to increase the number of big prizes.

Instead, they increase the number of £25, £50 and £100 prizes, meaning your odds of bagging a small size could increase slightly.

For example, six months ago in the May prize draw, NS&I handed out 2,240,160 prizes worth £25. In the November draw, the number of £25 prizes had increased to 2,325,993.

Over that six-month period, there was an increase in the number of prizes handed out in the £10,000, £5,000, £1,000, £500, £100 and £50 categories too.

3. The gap is narrowing between savings rates and the payout rate

While you may not receive a straightforward interest rate with Premium Bonds the NS&I does try to keep the average prizes won in line with the interest rates offered by traditional savings accounts.

Ten years ago, the average savings account paid 5.5% annual interest. At that time, the average payout rate on Premium Bonds was 4%.

Even once you factored tax in (remember this was before the Personal Savings Allowance) the average basic-rate taxpayer was getting a 4.4% return on their savings.

So, if you had average luck, Premium Bonds still wouldn’t offer the same return as a savings account – but you stood the chance of winning a big prize.

As interest rates have fallen over the past decade so has the average payout rate on Premium Bonds.

Now the gap between the average return on a savings account and the average payout rate is negligible with the average one-year fixed savings account paying 1.14% and the Premium Bond payout rate at 1.15%.

The big difference now is that the payout rate is ahead of the average interest rate.

4. The last time Premium Bonds average rate beat inflation was…

It has been 12 months now since the average prize rate was ahead of inflation. Back in November 2016 inflation was 1.2% and the prize rate was 1.25%.

Since then inflation has more than doubled, while NS&I has cut the prize rate, leaving an averagely lucky person’s premium bonds spending power shrinking.

Inflation is currently 3%, while the Premium Bond payout rate has dropped to 1.15%.

Page 50 of 98 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top