Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Dash cam failed

Today our dash cam decided not to work, it kept telling me that the front camera was not working, having tried unplugging and plugging in to no avail, as were going away Friday night I feel vulnerable not having a dash cam, so off to halfords tonight and am getting a new one with front and rear cameras fitted Friday afternoon, I’ve gone for the new nextbase camera which is the top of the range model, but is on offer atm as is the rear cam when bought together, not normally a fan of nextbase, but this has a new magnetic mount and isn’t as obtrusive as the previous model, fitting is £65, including removing the old cameras,
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Re: Dash cam failed

I don't use Nexbase dashcams or anything similar because of their size.

If you plan on taking it off the screen every time you get out of the car then you're going to have to carry it around. I think that's a hassle for most people so will lead to them not bothering and leaving the camera attached to the window or dash in full view ready for thieves to break in and take it.

I use tiny Mobius Action cams which are about £55 a pop. The size of a matchbox. They sit discretely under the sun visor and are not visible from outside without a really close look.

They film full HD quality on loop. I use a big enough data card to give me 10 hours worth of continuous recording in 3min chunks. That's full HD quality at I think 30fps. I could increase to 60fps if needed but the quality at 30 is superb.

There's just no need at all to have a dashcam with a built in screen. Just pointless imho.

The Mobius cameras are also brilliant to carry around as a constant pocket accessory. They offer 2 hrs recording battery life when you carry them around so you have an HD quality video recorder and digital camera in your pocket the size of a matchbox. Really really useful. Especially to use covertly.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Yes I’m not keen on having a screen, my last cam, a my witness one doesn’t have a screen, this new nextbase one has a new magnetic mount and removing it is easy, no wires to disconnect, although I’ll probably leave it in not sure yet, I’ll see how it looks,
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Do you have to have sound on with a dash cam or is there somewhere you can turn it off? My friend was saying the other day she doesn't like her conversations being recorded. To be honest I'm not sure if mine even does record sound just thought I'd ask whilst we are on the subject of dashcams
Primus1
York

18-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Depends on the camera, most do have the option of turning the sound off, as indeed you can turn on/off gps and such, to suit your needs,
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:20 PM

My Nextbase suddenly decided some weeks ago to bleep that the power was getting to it (warning of low battery). This was in my sister's car so I presumed the plug didn't fit her cigarette lighter. When I drove up to Suffolk some weeks later it worked ok, but then did the same on the journey home (low battery warning). So now I have the problem, in, do I bin it (was expensive).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Do you have to have sound on with a dash cam or is there somewhere you can turn it off?
I recommend leaving sound on. It gives credence to the evidence if they can here the reaction of people in the car. Plus crucially you can get out of the car with the camera in hand to video the damage and at the same time record the voice/statements of the other party.

Again the little Mobius scores hugely here. I can step out of the car with a bunch of keys and Mobius in my hand and the other party has no idea I have a camera recording.

I point it at them to be sure I have video of the offender and video everything else.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Do you have to have sound on with a dash cam or is there somewhere you can turn it off? My friend was saying the other day she doesn't like her conversations being recorded. To be honest I'm not sure if mine even does record sound just thought I'd ask whilst we are on the subject of dashcams
All the cameras I have used have the ability to turn the sound off, in fact my current one had the sound recording turned off by default.

There is an advantage to having the sound on, for example you can read out loud the number plate which is useful if it is partly obscured or vibration might make it unreadable (or the quality of the video). Nothing worse than having a recording of an incident but unable to make out the rego plate - at least if you speak it out loud it is recorded.

As for private conversations you can always delete them later or they will be overwritten anyway by a later recording.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Again the little Mobius scores hugely here. I can step out of the car with a bunch of keys and Mobius in my hand and the other party has no idea I have a camera recording.

I point it at them to be sure I have video of the offender and video everything else.
Have a lot of accidents do you?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-06-2019, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes I’m not keen on having a screen, my last cam, a my witness one doesn’t have a screen, this new nextbase one has a new magnetic mount and removing it is easy, no wires to disconnect, although I’ll probably leave it in not sure yet, I’ll see how it looks,
That's interesting I have never had one without a screen. Mine (a Garmin 45) has a magnetic mount but that actually failed when the adhesive pad fell apart in the heat. I ended up Aralditing the steel disc to the windscreen.

I never take the camera with me when I leave the car, sometimes I tuck it under the sun visor just so I can put the reflectix in the window as protection against the sun.

I suppose there are people who steal them but they must be pretty desperate to steal something of such minor value like a dash cam or a satnav. Can't imagine it myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top