Join for free
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Could the honourable member* please explain how anything I said in my post #114 could be regarded as lapsing into fantasy?

(*Sorry, just watching Boris in Parliament on the news.)
Wot 'ee sed.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Only if you don't fight to save it weedeek.....

You can take my life......But you will never take my freedom!..

Didn't a brave Scottish bloke say that?
Some things are worth fighting for....
The British Empire belonged to another age never to be repeated. A brave Scottish bloke was not the source of your quote, it was an American actor in a questionable (to be polite!) film.
I agree some things are worth fighting (through political argument) for. Peace and mutual co-operation in Europe are examples in my view.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Could the honourable member* please explain how anything I said in my post #114 could be regarded as lapsing into fantasy?

(*Sorry, just watching Boris in Parliament on the news.)
The post of the honourable member on the opposite benches conjured up visions of a European Army traipsing through the snow to the gates of Moscow which is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion.
I too have met and been impressed by the Russian people, going back there in January in fact.
Maybe you and I can have a rare moment of unity and agree that it is not the ordinary people that is the problem, it’s the “high heed yin’s”! (Scots for those in charge)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
The British Empire belonged to another age never to be repeated. A brave Scottish bloke was not the source of your quote, it was an American actor in a questionable (to be polite!) film.
I agree some things are worth fighting (through political argument) for. Peace and mutual co-operation in Europe are examples in my view.
If peace and mutual co-operation in Europe were the only aims of the EU, I would have voted remain weekdeek....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 12:25 PM

The post of the honourable member on the opposite benches conjured up visions of a European Army traipsing through the snow to the gates of Moscow which is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion.
I too have met and been impressed by the Russian people, going back there in January in fact.
Maybe you and I can have a rare moment of unity and agree that it is not the ordinary people that is the problem, it’s the “high heed yin’s”! (Scots for those in charge)
Perhaps I should quote what I consider is the most pertinent part of my earlier post:

"If, as I suspect, the EU continues to believe in its expansionism (they've already threatened Russia regarding the Ukraine), they might find themselves trying to beat a path to the doors of Moscow... led by all the little pro-EU snowflakes they'll have recruited into their 'EU Army'!"

There is absolutely no doubt in the EU's interest in expanding its territory eastward into the countries immediately next to Russia, including the Ukraine.

I have equally no doubt that Russia must see this as a threat to their nation's sovereignty. Will the EU be satisfied with stopping at Russia's border? In a way, I'd like to see the EU trying to take on Russia as well! They'd get what Napoleon and Hitler received! Russia is no pushover and would never accept being ruled from Brussels.

EU expansionism is no daydream, I assure you. They are already planning to expand into Turkey as well as Ukraine, Belorussia, etc.

My EU Army comment was, of course, simply my poking fun at the EU's attempt to create an army comprising young men from all of its European colonies under its direct control.

That would be bound to fail if they ever attempted to subjugate Russia, and NATO would no longer accept the EU countries as part of their alliance under such circumstances.

Yes, of course the ni... er... the real problem is the powers that be and not the ordinary people of Europe, although many of them (and we see some on here) have been brainwashed into believing everything the EU dictators tell them.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 06:13 PM

What did you expect the SNP to do? Political parties don’t disband every time they lose an election or referendum. A week is a long time in politics, 5 years is a lifetime.
One of the issues in the 2014 referendum was which currency Scotland would adopt. Presumably an independent Scotland would have to give up the pound. Alex Salmond could not give a convincing answer and so far I have heard little of how the present lot are going to handle it. If an independent Scotland was then successful in their application to join the EU then we would have to adopt the euro eventually. The top economist Professor Ronald MacDonald said recently that Scotland could land in a predicament similar to Greece.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
One of the issues in the 2014 referendum was which currency Scotland would adopt. Presumably an independent Scotland would have to give up the pound. Alex Salmond could not give a convincing answer and so far I have heard little of how the present lot are going to handle it. If an independent Scotland was then successful in their application to join the EU then we would have to adopt the euro eventually. The top economist Professor Ronald MacDonald said recently that Scotland could land in a predicament similar to Greece.
Ronald MacDonald? Honest? Does he sell burgers?

Seriously, though, I'm sure Scotland would be better off remaining part of the UK for both our sakes.
I think it's only the rampant SNP and the Fish Woman who want independence, and I can't really think what advantage they hope to achieve.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 01:12 AM

If sturgeon was offered a no deal exit from the UK she would be out like a rat up a drain pipe.

Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 11 12 13

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top