Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Re: Interest rates to rise..

But that is where the work is - people won't move to areas where they can't get a job.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You need us down here to be able to enjoy your lives unless you are willing to do the menial jobs for each other.
Not me Julie, I've never had a home in London ('tho I have worked and lived Mon.-Fri there) and I did all my own cleaning, shopping, and cooking Mon-Fri so I don't rely on others in that respect.

Not that I have any problem with your occupation, there's so many offices in London that there has to be a constant need for services and why shouldn't you benefit from that. I do think that some of these rich Russians etc. would benefit from having to do a bit of cleaning themselves, I mean we all know how they made their millions don't we
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But that is where the work is - people won't move to areas where they can't get a job.
There's no answer to that !

ETA:-
Have to go now, Rianna is waiting for her diner
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Losos, regarding interest rates, I have a LLoyds Classic account + Vantage. If you pay in over £1000 a month and remain in credit, you earn 3% if balance is £3000 - £5000 or 2% between £1000 and £3000 - on the whole amount.

Of course because this is a current account, it has instant access.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm so sorry Spitfire, that my acute short-sightedness in wanting a few extra pounds from my savings will precipitate a worldwide financial crisis! What do you want - a permanent 0% interest rate?

It seeems increasingly obvious that we will have to do more to look after ourselves in retirement. You might be happy to cut your neighbour's lawn, but I'd like a resaonable return on my savings - so there.
Doubt you solely will be responsible for a global meltdown, but many replications of you may stimulate a domestic rumble, although zero isn't null it is close, and that is good enough, Imo, didn't one man mow a meadow, albeit with the help of his dog, I hope your coffers go forth and multiply.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Hallejuah! I agree it is "about time".
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Losos, regarding interest rates, I have a LLoyds Classic account + Vantage. If you pay in over £1000 a month and remain in credit, you earn 3% if balance is £3000 - £5000 or 2% between £1000 and £3000 - on the whole amount.
Of course because this is a current account, it has instant access.
I have a FlexDirect Account with the Nationwide Grumble.

It's giving me 5% AER (4.89% gross p.a.) fixed in-credit interest on balances up to £2,500 and this rate is fixed for the first 12 months if you pay in £1,000 each month, which I made sure I do!

As this is far better than the piddling Cash ISA I also have, I'm keeping that topped up to get as much out of it before the 12 months runs out, then I'll drop my extra dosh back into my next Cash ISA!

I'm hoping that another deal like this comes up before the 12 months is up but if not, at least I've made three-times the interest on my savings since dropping them back into my Current Account!

OK, it's not huge sums but for the first time in ages the interest will cover 70% of of my road Tax again! stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by venus ->
Hallejuah! I agree it is "about time".
Yes, same here, I like watching Firework Displays.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

16-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
just because some folks want an extra couple of quid per thousand on their savings.
You've missed the point, what Grumblewagon is trying to say is that at present the interest you get on your savings does not match inflation so £1,000 on January 1st. 2014 becomes £965 after tax on January 1st. 2015

So after paying all the many types of taxes and duties that Grumblewagon has to pay you expect him to give away a further £35 just so the 'buy to let' landlords can continue in business - no way.

Incidentally I can guarantee that when rates do start to go up it will a long and slow process. I predict that by 2020 base rate will be around 2 to 2.5%

If any of you are still here in 2020 you can post on here and tell me if I'm right or wrong (You might need a hot line to God to do so of course )
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Incidentally I can guarantee that when rates do start to go up it will a long and slow process. I predict that by 2020 base rate will be around 2 to 2.5%
Dunno Losos.

Purely out of interest I tend to trawl through all kinds of stuff on the 'net that send others to sleep but it seems to me that high and rising debt levels in advanced economies; populations ageing and our previous quantative easing are all factors that would suggest a substantial increase in interest rates in the medium term.

As we are half way through 2014 so we're talking of only just over 5 years really I'd say your bet on 2020's rate could be a loser! stevmk2

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top