Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Re: Trip of a Lifetime

When I was 53 I went backpacking to Thailand with a boyfriend . Waiting first in line at airport we were upgraded to business class to dubai. Then from there travelled ordinary class to Thailand and bumped around all the way , what a come down . Teach me a lesson for getting above my station eh . We were on a budget but a few times managed to stay in cheap hotels . One time we stayed on a barge , room looked fine so we dumped our backpacks then went to find somewhere to eat. Arriving back horrified to find the place crawling with cockroaches from an open pipe into the river in the bathroom. Blocking the bathroom door with a towel I got into bed , in the dark the room was crawling , my boyfriend covered me in a mosquito net like a mummy and somehow I managed a few hours sleep, first light we we outa there .

Another time stayed in a monestry outside Bangkok, I stepped down into a room used for washing , a large wooden tub and a bucket , a toilet which was flushed with a bucket , as I started to sluish myself I felt a rush , I was standing in an ants nest ankle deep .....screaming ran to my boyfriend who threw water over me.......I wasn't bitten thank god , what a shock , I'll never forget .

One night sitting under the Buddha statues watching the full moon , in the dark we saw a massive creature ( well massive to me ) it had a stinging tail coming towards our feet , we shot out of the chairs like lightening .

We stayed on an island in a beach bungalow , while sleeping I felt my boyfriend get out of bed but didn't bother to ask why , the next morning he told me , as I'd hung a plastic carrier bag on the wall it had some sweetie papers inside , the bag was full of cockroaches and he could hear them rustling .

Whilst riding motorbikes together having great fun on this island one time boyfriend did emergency stop and a huge and I mean huge snake was on the road in front of us , 12ft long and big , we had to wait while it slid away.

Trip of a life time , yes indeed , but never ever again .

I like my comforts now , but at least I did it and what an experience we had. Lots more happened as you can Immagine but we also experienced some fabulous times
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2015, 08:39 PM

susan m, I felt myself shuddering with horror at every part of that tour!!

Seriously, a round the world cruise sounds good to me. If only for a lottery win, eh?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2015, 08:53 PM

In 1956 I motorcycled down to Istanbul and back.......it was 'velly interlesting'!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Not the trip of a lifetime but I'v just booked a 14 night cruise to New Zealand from Sydney on the Royal Caribbean ship, Explorer of the Seas in early February when it should be lovely and warm.

Haven't been to NZ for over 20 years so should be interesting to see how it's changed.
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 10:54 PM

My trip of a lifetime would be a cruise around the world with multi-day stops at ports along the way. I know there isn't such an animal, so I'd take just the normal one around the world.

Cruises have been parts of the best and worst trips of my life. The best was my most recent where we cruised from Buenos Aries to Antarctica and back. It was amazing. The highlights for us were walking with the penguins at Volunteer Point on the Falkland Islands, hiking in Tierra del Fuego National Park and cruising in bays of Antarctica.

The worst was a two week cruise in the Caribbean that included the eastern and western Caribbean. It was actually two back to back one week cruises. We found out we're just not Caribbean people. Also it was the most bizarre set of cruises because the first week we were surrounded by subscribers of the ultra conservative publication The Weekly Standard and the second week we were surrounded by subscribers of the very liberal publication The New Republic. It was a very different set of cruises all in a setting we were bored with.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 10:00 AM

My Caribbean cruise in 2003 was ruined by me coming down with a cold during the 5 days from Madeira down to the Caribbean islands. By the time we got to the first on the itinerary I was extremely ill, with the worst cough imaginable! Apart from going on the St Kitts train ride, at other destinations I stayed near the port, as didn't feel well enough to tour round.

So I'd love to go back and realise what I missed back then.

I never remember feeling scared or threatened though, and would still go with an open mind.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2015, 05:28 PM

I like cruises but no more than 20 days any longer and I start getting bored and long for beans on toast , scruffy clothes and gardening .
My best and worse holidays have both been cruises
Best swimming in an extinct volcano in the Antarctic
My worst was a big ship that caters for the British it was like Butlins afloat couldn't wait for the holiday to end .

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top