Join for free
Page 314 of 370 « First < 214 264 304 312 313 314 315 316 324 364 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This is absolutely fantastic, Tachyon. You're coming on in massive leaps and bounds with all this now!!
Those totals and gains are truly inspiring (Realspeed - take note pal...you can do this too!). Just for interest, on average how many sets do some of these exercises equate to? Do you rest much between the sets also?
I particular commend you on the leg work, an area you found very difficult to begin with. You show that IT CAN BE DONE. Brilliant! ...
Thanks big guy. With the arms I do 2 sets of 20 usually (12 to 15 if I am struggling by the end of the session) and I rest for 10 seconds between sets. After my two sets I change straight away to another machine and get cracking as soon as I am seated.

Crunches and back extensions I do a set of 30 on each machine, then swap to arm or leg machines. No rest in between other than getting over to the machine.

Leg work I do sets of 30 on leg sled, hip adduction and hip abduction, doing 2 sets on each of those at a time with a 10 second break between them. Sometimes, if my legs aren't tired, I do 4 sets of 30 on the leg sled, with a 10 second break between them. I am still building the leg muscle groups up but they're not doing too bad. I love it when I can do the 120 x 120kg on the leg sled because that alone adds up to 14,400kg lifted all by itself, which equates to 14 Imperial tons so a website conversion tells me, lol. (I'm not sure I believe that!)

...Again, this is great work buddy! Next one Tuesday I guess?
Usually, yes, but I have my annual health review on Tuesday, so I might have to cram that session in on an already busy Monday. Prior engagements are the curse of the weightlifting classes, as I'm sure you'll agree.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Thanks big guy. With the arms I do 2 sets of 20 usually (12 to 15 if I am struggling by the end of the session) and I rest for 10 seconds between sets. After my two sets I change straight away to another machine and get cracking as soon as I am seated.

Crunches and back extensions I do a set of 30 on each machine, then swap to arm or leg machines. No rest in between other than getting over to the machine.

Leg work I do sets of 30 on leg sled, hip adduction and hip abduction, doing 2 sets on each of those at a time with a 10 second break between them. Sometimes, if my legs aren't tired, I do 4 sets of 30 on the leg sled, with a 10 second break between them. I am still building the leg muscle groups up but they're not doing too bad. I love it when I can do the 120 x 120kg on the leg sled because that alone adds up to 14,400kg lifted all by itself, which equates to 14 Imperial tons so a website conversion tells me, lol. (I'm not sure I believe that!)

Usually, yes, but I have my annual health review on Tuesday, so I might have to cram that session in on an already busy Monday. Prior engagements are the curse of the weightlifting classes, as I'm sure you'll agree.
Great set/reps routine actually. I've done these 1-2 sets of bigger reps occasionally myself, mainly for the additional 'high reps' session I sometimes throw in, but prefer a more traditional 3-6 set routine. Like you though, I have minimal rest in between sets as it's best not to let your muscles cool down too much.

Yes it's a P.I.T.A. when our gym plans go to pot because of appointments, commitments etc. Your training tomorrow may be harder in some areas mate, but you'll soon get back on track again I'm certain of it
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Great set/reps routine actually. I've done these 1-2 sets of bigger reps occasionally myself, mainly for the additional 'high reps' session I sometimes throw in, but prefer a more traditional 3-6 set routine. Like you though, I have minimal rest in between sets as it's best not to let your muscles cool down too much.
It boggles me that at my gym some people rest a lot between sets, even if they are only doing a set of 10. The screens on the machines give a 60 second timer and quite a lot of people use between 30 seconds to the full 60 seconds to have a rest. That's if they aren't fiddling with their damn phones for even longer than 60 seconds, which about 50% of the "younger" people do. They may simply be doing what they are told at induction to the gym though, as I recall a friend of mine saying the staff had told her to do sets of 10 and always rest for 60 seconds on the weight machines.

At a slight tangent, I also see some people in their twenties to late thirties lifting less than I am and doing less reps, which also boggles me. They should be leaving me in the dust!! They're in their prime, for gawd's sake, and I'm a knackered old geezer with a damaged heart, iffy knees and regular chemo medication. Well, as Arnie says in Terminator: Genysis, he's "old, but not obsolete"!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2019, 07:43 PM

It boggles me that at my gym some people rest a lot between sets, even if they are only doing a set of 10. The screens on the machines give a 60 second timer and quite a lot of people use between 30 seconds to the full 60 seconds to have a rest. That's if they aren't fiddling with their damn phones for even longer than 60 seconds, which about 50% of the "younger" people do. They may simply be doing what they are told at induction to the gym though, as I recall a friend of mine saying the staff had told her to do sets of 10 and always rest for 60 seconds on the weight machines.

At a slight tangent, I also see some people in their twenties to late thirties lifting less than I am and doing less reps, which also boggles me. They should be leaving me in the dust!! They're in their prime, for gawd's sake, and I'm a knackered old geezer with a damaged heart, iffy knees and regular chemo medication. Well, as Arnie says in Terminator: Genysis, he's "old, but not obsolete"!
Brilliant! Yes mate, the ones that amuse me are those who sit in front of the free weights on a bench staring motionless at themselves just sitting there doing nothing at all. They look like they are gazing into their own eyes. It's really odd!
Tachyon

04-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Brilliant! Yes mate, the ones that amuse me are those who sit in front of the free weights on a bench staring motionless at themselves just sitting there doing nothing at all. They look like they are gazing into their own eyes. It's really odd!
OMG, yes, I see those too! They do it the most in the long wall mirror in front of the dumbbell area of the gym, sitting on a bench (there are 3 of them) and staring blankly into the mirror for ages between sets. That's the main reason I use the cable/pulley weights, because all 3 benches are usually occupied.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-08-2019, 03:25 PM

It’s so good to have to time off work and after sorting out some job applications and also making it known to my pension provider what my plans are I then hit the gym for a fantastic double session: Days 1&2 combined. Some of the ‘extra’ reps were discarded but I made it up by adding extra weight. All my exercises had been updated with revised figures and all of my new targets were reached.

Workout Day 1&2 (DOUBLE SESSION): Monday 5 August 2019 2hr.35mins.
(All weights in kgs)

UPPER BODY

Lat pulldown (hammer attachment):
15x35, 10x50, 8x60, 6x70+2

Seated row:
15x41, 12x47, 10x53, 6x59 +4

DB press, 15° incline bench:
10x24’s (48kg), 8x28’s (56), 6x32’s (64), 4x36’s +1 (68)

E-Z curl,
standing (paused):
6x28 – pause - 6x28 – pause - 6x28 – pause - 6x28 +2

DB preacher curl (standing over bench), alternate arms:
10x14, 8x16, 6x18, 4x20 +2

Pec dec:
20x40, 15x45, 12x50, 8x60 +3

Bicep stack curl, standing:
15x15, 10x20, 8x25, 6x30 +2

Triceps pulldown, close grip bar:
15x25, 12x30, 10x35, 6x40 +2

DB concentration curl, alt:
8x14, 6x16, 6x18, 4x20 +1

Seated Low Row, single arm alt.:
12x 60, 10x80, 8x90, 6x100 +1

Fly delt dec:
20x65, 15x80, 12x95, 10x110 +6

Tricep extensions:
25x40, 15x50 +10, 12x60 +8, 8x70 +6 +4

Arm curl (machine), alt.:
15x25, 10x30, 8x35, 6x40 +2

LEGS

Horizontal ‘sled’ press (up-down):
Feet low to high:
25x120, 20x150, 18x170, 15x190, 12x200 +3

Feet high to low:
12x200, 18x180, 25x160, 28x140, 30x120

Calf press (using sled. Pushing with toes from bottom of plate, not from the quads):
25x100, 20x120, 15x140, 12x160 +2
20x100

Adductor:
25x50, 20x55, 12x60, 10x60 +2

Abductor:
25x50, 20x55, 12x60, 10x60 +2

Extensions (up-down):
25x40, 15x60, 12x80, 10x90, 8x100 +3,
15x100 ‘bounce’ reps
10x60, 25x35, 6x100
4x100 +10 ‘flex’ reps

Ab crunch:
50x30

Exhausting work but I accomplished my goals and that only proves that not only can I still do this madness without too much trouble, I’m also gaining strength once more. I’m even more pleased with myself that I can easily outlast all of the youngsters at my gym too. Lightweights all!
Next session mid-week.

Thanks for reading
Tachyon

05-08-2019, 07:14 PM

Good stuff there Floydy, and I am particularly impressed with the single arm low row, tricep extensions and ALL of the leg work. It's mean of me but it IS very satisfying to beat the youngsters, isn't it, lol.

You also cleared up for me how you do a calf press on the leg sled, I.E. with toes at the bottom of the plate when you push! I have been wondering how the screen on the leg sled had two options of leg press and calf press. I've only been doing a leg press because I'm thick.

I did manage to squeeze the gym in today, and surprised myself with a 3hr 6min workout. The time seemed to fly by and everything was smooth as silk on the machines. Heart and lungs were having no trouble and I wasn't ever out of breath, even though I have no rest breaks between the machines.

I'm sitting scarfing down some fish in between typing and am going to have some strawberries for afters as a treat, as I couldn't fit lunch in and I only got back home at 6:30pm having been out since 10am. I burnt a lot of calories, too, so I am really going to enjoy my late evening meal, lol. I'll do a summary of today's session a bit later.
Tachyon

05-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Right, thoroughly enjoyed my late meal, and here's the breakdown of today's session. The data system has been acting up for people today and it has been missing sets of reps off the system, which is annoying. Accordingly, I have made the weight totals below as accurate as I can... I hope they fix the damn thing soon.

According to the wonky data reported by the machines and recorded on the central console the workout was rated as 98/100, 1519 calories burnt, 107,195kg lifted in total. My new record in all categories! I even managed to walk 5 miles in my travels today, too. I'll sleep tonight.

(Arm reps are usually in 20's, leg reps and stomach/back are in a mix of 20's and 30's...)
Stomach crunch: 90x45kg, 60x50kg, 60x55kg
Back extension: 180x67.5kg
Pec deck: 10x30kg, 10x40kg, 10x45kg, 40x50kg
Hip abduction: 120x40kg
Hip adduction: 100x35kg
Chest press: 30x30kg, 20x35kg, 10x40kg, 5x45kg, 20x50kg (up/downs)
Leg sled: 455x120kg
Shoulder press: 60x15kg
Leg curl: 20x30kg
Leg extension: 20x30kg
Pulldown: 80x50kg
Cable/Pulley: 180x14kg, 80x23kg (mixture of muscle groups)
Low row: 40x50kg

I had a really good time on the leg sled and the shoulder press. The knees seem ok with the workout, although my legs are quite tired now. The shoulder press was pain-free in my left shoulder for a change, so I was able to do more reps than I usually do. Hope that continues!

Best of luck in your training endeavours, lads and lasses!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Good stuff there Floydy, and I am particularly impressed with the single arm low row, tricep extensions and ALL of the leg work. It's mean of me but it IS very satisfying to beat the youngsters, isn't it, lol.

You also cleared up for me how you do a calf press on the leg sled, I.E. with toes at the bottom of the plate when you push! I have been wondering how the screen on the leg sled had two options of leg press and calf press. I've only been doing a leg press because I'm thick.

I had a really good time on the leg sled and the shoulder press. The knees seem ok with the workout, although my legs are quite tired now. The shoulder press was pain-free in my left shoulder for a change, so I was able to do more reps than I usually do. Hope that continues!
Stunning work, Tachyon. It just proves that human endurance will always win over computer glitches. Apart from if you're a student that is...they have no stamina do they bud?!

yes, I much prefer using the sled for calf presses (remember to only push the weight with the toes though - if you can see the calf muscles working instead of any of the thigh ones are, that means you're doing it correctly.

Thanks for the praise by the way, it means a lot and quite honestly keeps me motivated in doing this crazy stuff week after week as I go greyer by the minute!

Are you using a laying down version of the shoulder press, or a seated 'upright' one on a different machine mate? I tend to use the Smith machine nowadays because the bench is adjustable. A 60° incline is about right

Let's keep the flag flying for the oldies matey!

So it's no training as I mentioned tomorrow (Tuesday). I'm taking all of the grandkids to one of those indoor fun places. Fun it may be for them...it will probably knacker me out more than they get!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Well this should be interesting. It's looking like an evening gym session, something I haven't done for years due to normally being at work later.
It will be very busy but most of my exercises (Day 3 routine) involve free weights so hopefully there won't be much waiting around for apparatus.

My reasons for this late session?
Me and Mrs. Floydy have been out for the day and stopped off on the way home at a pub in Beverley called The Angel for fish and chips (and a pint) so I need to let it settle down a bit!
I'm determined to go to the gym though, so watch this space for my write-up later

Page 314 of 370 « First < 214 264 304 312 313 314 315 316 324 364 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top