Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 04:09 PM

Apple sweet delight

Hi everyone. I have made this for the first time. I haven’t tasted it yet as it’s for today’s dessert. It looks really nice and has come out as it was meant to, Phew! (sorry no picture,) got this recipe from my SIL who says she has had it dog-eared copy in her recipe folder for years. She says it always goes down a treat whenever she makes it.

I have followed her recipe to a tee, apart from the choice of biscuit for the base, she always uses Mcvities Digestive biscuits but I prefer a crunchier biscuit base so used Ginger Nuts instead. I know it is scandalous using tinned apple slices but she said that was in the original recipe.
Apart from the cooking time, this was really easy and quick preparation.

Here’s hoping it tastes as good as it looks.

FOR THE BASE
1 x Packet Digestive or Ginger Biscuits - Crushed.
28g Desiccated Coconut
53g Granulated Sugar
Pinch of Salt
100g Butter

FOR THE APPLE FILLING
3 Eggs
400g Sweetened Condensed Milk
567g Tin of Apple Slices
Zest of 2 Lemons
Juice of 2 Lemons

METHOD
Preheat your oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3

Combine the Biscuit Crumb, Sugar, Coconut and Salt into a bowl.
Melt the Butter and pour over the above in the bowl.
Reserving 3 tablespoons of the Crumb for the topping, mix well and press into a large ovenproof dish.
Separate the Eggs.
Combine the Egg yolks with Condensed Milk, Apple, Lemon Juice and Lemon Rind.
Beat the Egg whites until stiff but not dry.
Fold the Egg white into the Apple mixture and turn out into the lined ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle with the remaining Biscuit Crumb.
Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until filling is set.

TIP: If you find the filling is getting too dark before cooking time is over, put a piece of baking paper over the top until cooking time is finished. The dark colour does not affect the end result.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Re: Apple sweet delight

You have to stop doing this ! You keep tempting me and leading me astray !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Heart attack warning, .
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 05:29 PM

My husband would love that. Better not let him see.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 11:25 AM

LOL! Too right! I only had a tiny bit for dessert. He who must obey had two ladle fulls into his dish. It tasted really nice. Groan,Seeing this yum tasting dish in the centre of the table I was so tempted to have another little bit but persevered and resisted. Needn't have worried about it going to waste though, piggy him polished the rest of it off in the evening. He eats for England that one, but never puts an ounce on. I only have to look at a potato! so have to be careful with my weight.
I also have to remember that my SIL always has familily to Sunday lunch where this dessert goes down a treat, whereas there are only the two of us. Healthy Yoghurt next week methinks!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL! Too right! I only had a tiny bit for dessert. He who must obey had two ladle fulls into his dish. It tasted really nice. Groan,Seeing this yum tasting dish in the centre of the table I was so tempted to have another little bit but persevered and resisted. Needn't have worried about it going to waste though, piggy him polished the rest of it off in the evening. He eats for England that one, but never puts an ounce on. I only have to look at a potato! so have to be careful with my weight.
I also have to remember that my SIL always has familily to Sunday lunch where this dessert goes down a treat, whereas there are only the two of us. Healthy Yoghurt next week methinks!!!

Won't tell you what I had for lunch then - otherwise it'll make you jealous!!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Going to make this!
If you use cooking apples instead of a tin how much would you reckon?
And I assume the apple would need to be cooked/stewed first?
I only wonder because I often have stewed apple on the go...

Well to answer my own question I suppose about 3 tablespoons...

Edited... I've been looking at sizes of tins and they're all 300 ish so yours is a mighty big tin and I'm wondering where you shop?
Or maybe use 2 normal sized tins?

You don't say how many this pud feeds and I'm wondering if it's pretty big?
Sorry to nit pick! Just musing on sizes and quantities...
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Shame - no good for diabetics......
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-02-2017, 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=ruthio;1100927]Going to make this!
If you use cooking apples instead of a tin how much would you reckon?
And I assume the apple would need to be cooked/stewed first?
I only wonder because I often have stewed apple on the go...

Well to answer my own question I suppose about 3 tablespoons...

Edited... I've been looking at sizes of tins and they're all 300 ish so yours is a mighty big tin and I'm wondering where you shop?
Or maybe use 2 normal sized tins?

Ruthio, so sorry took this long to reply.
I believe the original recipe was Australian so they obviously have different size tins to us. I used two tins instead.
I would imagine maybe two Cooking Applies like bramleys would suffice and would definitely stew them.

As regards how many it feeds. I would say 4 comfortably but if making for two with a husband that has a sweet tooth like mine, it won't go to waste!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top