Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Re: Ice melt could quintuple!!!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It certainly does Donkeyman.
Fossils from sea creatures have been found high up in some mountains, suggesting that either the mountain was lower or sea levels higher, or both.. I believe it was in scandinavia, but also in other parts of the world.
Yes, we do find fossils from sea creatures high up in the mountains. However, there was one point you missed. Plate tectonics.

As sea creatures die they sink to the bottom of the ocean. Eventually they become fossils imbedded in the ocean floor. Over hundreds of millions of years, plate tectonics move the ocean floor which can be "uplifted" into mountains. Think earthquakes. Every time an earthquake happens the earth is moving. Thus, sea fossils can end up in the mountains but that has nothing to do with the sea levels.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the sea levels have changed quite dramatically due to climate change over hundreds of thousands of years.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, we do find fossils from sea creatures high up in the mountains. However, there was one point you missed. Plate tectonics.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the sea levels have changed quite dramatically due to climate change over hundreds of thousands of years.
I did actually mention that in a roundabout way in my post bakerman, which I thought people would understand.....
See below....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It certainly does Donkeyman.
Fossils from sea creatures have been found high up in some mountains, suggesting that either the mountain was lower or sea levels higher, or both.. I believe it was in scandinavia, but also in other parts of the world.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman;1913189[B
]8,000 years ago, the area now known as The Sahara Desert was a tropical paradise, with lakes, rivers, ponds, ferns, palm trees, and full of elephants, hippos, crocodile, antelope, turtles, frogs and a multitude of fishes, etc etc. [/B]

Now, tell me THAT was caused by man ? The earths climate changes. Get used to it.

How do you KNOW that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
How do you KNOW that.
Because there is a shedload of marine life scattered around the desert Spitty, and loads of oil under it...Now where did the oil come from..?..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 11:28 AM

You can spend a "lifetime" hiding little artefacts for future generations to find, like say an 8 millennial Blue Peter.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You can spend a "lifetime" hiding little artefacts for future generations to find, like say an 8 millennial Blue Peter.
Ha ha yes Spitty, I think they call them 'Time Capsules' now....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top