Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 09:30 AM

Re: EU Overfishing UK waters??

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
A little country like the netherlands you dare to berate, you big bully. Try to do the same with those russian supertrawlers, fishing in your protected waters. Not a word did the UK dare to bring up! Ptah!
A wide berth did you give them
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...lers-r5dwrfx8z
Sorry Solly, when l say you l dont refer to just the netherlands but
to the EU as a bloc!
You so often claim the EU is the largest trading bloc in the world?
And it may well be, but it is composed of nations of paupers with
little potential for importing stuff from others as they are too poor?
Why does UK top the charts for importing deutch products among
the EU nations??
Why does'nt say ltaly/ greece/ or even france head the charts??
I cant wait for christmas to come!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁😁👍👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Sorry Solly, when l say you l dont refer to just the netherlands but
to the EU as a bloc!
You so often claim the EU is the largest trading bloc in the world?
And it may well be, but it is composed of nations of paupers with
little potential for importing stuff from others as they are too poor?
Why does UK top the charts for importing deutch products among
the EU nations??
Why does'nt say ltaly/ greece/ or even france head the charts??
I cant wait for christmas to come!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁😁👍👍
Germany is one of the few, perhaps only, country in the EU that has a manufacturing industry. You yourself complain the UK doesn't manufacture anymore. So you need the germans more than the greek and italians who only produce retsina and olive oil.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
First of all, why do you use so many *?

Secondly, even if we still catch the 700k tons of fish available to us, that still leaves 24k tons of fish that can live on and breed thus, increasing the amount of fish available to feed future generations. This is what fishery management is all about, proper control of stock levels, not like the Dutch method that strips even rocks from the sea bed and destroy everything with their tiny mesh nets. Look at what the WWF has to say and show on this subject.
I suggest not (look at the photo I attached to my post) but, if that were the case, why is Barnier demanding a fisheries agreement? If all those fish live in EU waters, then they're there for the EU's trawlers to take today. So, you're wrong again.

Oh, and BTW, why do you use so many *?
Your answer touched on the matter of fish quota being sold by english fishers to EU members. You see the implications for both sides?
He touched on. Doesn't mean he was aware of it. Obviously you weren't.
I was perfectly aware of what I was posting thank you very much. I did NOT touch on, or even intend to touch on, fish quota matters in my post. My only concern was to highlight the FACT, as reported by the WWF, that almost the whole of the eastern side of the North Sea is essentially devoid of all marine life.

Germany is one of the few, perhaps only, country in the EU that has a manufacturing industry. You yourself complain the UK doesn't manufacture anymore. So you need the germans more than the greek and italians who only produce retsina and olive oil.
In my opinion, Italian olive oil is probably the best in the world but that's by-the-by and I'm biased as I lived there for many years. No manufacturing in Italy? Well, let's see, FIAT cars, luxury cars, tractors, leather goods, shoes, and those are just for starters.

And, you've yet to tell me why do you use so many *?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 01:58 AM

I was perfectly aware of what I was posting thank you very much. I did NOT touch on, or even intend to touch on, fish quota matters in my post. My only concern was to highlight the FACT, as reported by the WWF, that almost the whole of the eastern side of the North Sea is essentially devoid of all marine life.

In my opinion, Italian olive oil is probably the best in the world but that's by-the-by and I'm biased as I lived there for many years. No manufacturing in Italy? Well, let's see, FIAT cars, luxury cars, tractors, leather goods, shoes, and those are just for starters.

And, you've yet to tell me why do you use so many *?
We were about the future when british fishers would catch all 700Ktones from british waters themselves, EU none in british waters. As british fishers at present catch 724 Ktonnes of fish (combination of what they catch in british and other seazones).
So to keep their future catch equal to the present, they have to buy 24Ktons in quota from other countries.

As for damage. All trawlers, large small cause that damage, one big EU vessels just as much as ten small UK vessels.
Btw, the UK has supertrawlers too:
The biggest whitefish trawler in the UK fleet the Kirkella, based at*Hull, can catch 2.3 million fish on every two-month voyage, plying the seas of the Arctic, Greenland, Norway and the north-east Atlantic.
Defenders of large vessels reject this, arguing that the waters in which the Kirkella and similar trawlers operate are inhospitable to small vessels, which tend to fish closer to shore. “It is horses for courses,” said Jane Sandell, the chief executive of UK Fisheries. “They could not do what we do, and vice versa.”

☆☆☆ flow from my magic wand.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 04:38 PM

We were about the future when british fishers would catch all 700Ktones from british waters themselves, EU none in british waters. As british fishers at present catch 724 Ktonnes of fish (combination of what they catch in british and other seazones).
So to keep their future catch equal to the present, they have to buy 24Ktons in quota from other countries.

As for damage. All trawlers, large small cause that damage, one big EU vessels just as much as ten small UK vessels.
Btw, the UK has supertrawlers too:
The biggest whitefish trawler in the UK fleet the Kirkella, based at*Hull, can catch 2.3 million fish on every two-month voyage, plying the seas of the Arctic, Greenland, Norway and the north-east Atlantic.
Defenders of large vessels reject this, arguing that the waters in which the Kirkella and similar trawlers operate are inhospitable to small vessels, which tend to fish closer to shore. “It is horses for courses,” said Jane Sandell, the chief executive of UK Fisheries. “They could not do what we do, and vice versa.”

☆☆☆ flow from my magic wand.
But that's the whole point, UK trawler men DO NOT HAVE TO catch the remaining 24k tons of fish. The fish can be left to grow on and breed - good fisheries management imho.

I have to admit I've never heard of the Kirkella so, a quick Google has been in order: Kirkella is a British cod and haddock freezer trawler and part of the UK’s distant waters fishing fleet. The vessel is based in Hull. Right, I have no objection to this vessel plying its trade in distant DEEP waters considering it is only a 2 species vessel unlike the super-trawlers belonging to your friends in The Netherlands that fish indiscriminately, in much shallower waters, destroying the seabed as the trawler moves forwards.

And you still haven't answered my question regarding your inappropriate use of so many *.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

05-07-2020, 11:00 PM

But that's the whole point, UK trawler men DO NOT HAVE TO catch the remaining 24k tons of fish. The fish can be left to grow on and breed - good fisheries management imho.

I have to admit I've never heard of the Kirkella so, a quick Google has been in order: Kirkella is a British cod and haddock freezer trawler and part of the UK’s distant waters fishing fleet. The vessel is based in Hull. Right, I have no objection to this vessel plying its trade in distant DEEP waters considering it is only a 2 species vessel unlike the super-trawlers belonging to your friends in The Netherlands that fish indiscriminately, in much shallower waters, destroying the seabed as the trawler moves forwards.

And you still haven't answered my question regarding your inappropriate use of so many *.
But the 24K are part of the TAC, so it is is justified to catch them from the point of view of stock conservation.

All trawlers, even the british trawlers fishing in shallow waters cause damage. It is inherent of the fishing method.
So one dutch supertrawler towing a net of 30 meters causes just as much damage as 3 british trawlers towing each a net of 10 meters.

As to the **, I don't put them in the text. I always use " .

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top