Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 11:56 PM

Re: Lords Reject UK Fisheries Bill

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Royal ascent is done in a few hours when Mogg pops up the road to get the signatures.

Go learn something- your embarrassing
Last year they had to travel to the north, remember?

But before royal assent there is consideration of amendments.

When a Bill has passed through third reading in both Houses it is returned to the first House (where it started) for the second House's amendments (proposals for change) to be considered.

Both Houses must agree on the exact wording of the Bill.

There is no set time period between the third reading of a Bill and consideration of any Commons or Lords amendments.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Last year they had to travel to the north, remember?

But before royal assent there is consideration of amendments.

When a Bill has passed through third reading in both Houses it is returned to the first House (where it started) for the second House's amendments (proposals for change) to be considered.

Both Houses must agree on the exact wording of the Bill.

There is no set time period between the third reading of a Bill and consideration of any Commons or Lords amendments.
First of all, last year Her Majesty was at Balmoral in Scotland, which is why JRM had to travel there for her signature. You fail to say that she could quite easily have been at Buck House, Windsor or Sandringham for that matter - it was just a matter of timing where she was.

Secondly, if the Government wanted to, and I'm not saying it will, it could forget all about the Lords' amendments and send the bill direct for Royal Ascent. However, the HoL have come up with some good ideas for a change that deserve looking at by the HoC in my opinion.

As for setting aside time to debate this Bill, it's just a matter of having a chat with the Speaker's Office to reschedule the Parliamentary timetable.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
First of all, last year Her Majesty was at Balmoral in Scotland, which is why JRM had to travel there for her signature. You fail to say that she could quite easily have been at Buck House, Windsor or Sandringham for that matter - it was just a matter of timing where she was.

Secondly, if the Government wanted to, and I'm not saying it will, it could forget all about the Lords' amendments and send the bill direct for Royal Ascent. However, the HoL have come up with some good ideas for a change that deserve looking at by the HoC in my opinion.

As for setting aside time to debate this Bill, it's just a matter of having a chat with the Speaker's Office to reschedule the Parliamentary timetable.
I just pointed out that royal assent may take longer than the few hours bread mentioned.

You forget the fisheries bill started in the house of lords.
I won't make you ask why that matters.
When a bill has passed through third reading in both Houses it is returned to the first House (where it started) for any amendments made by the second House to be considered. The fisheries bill returns to the house of lords where the amendment from HoC will be considered.
If the Commons makes amendments to the bill, the Lords must consider them and either agree or disagree to the amendments or make alternative proposals.

If the Lords disagrees with any Commons amendments, or makes alternative proposals, then the bill is sent back to the Commons.

A bill may go back and forth between each House until both Houses reach agreement on the exact wording of the bill – this is known as ‘ping pong’.

When the exact wording has been agreed by the Commons and the Lords, the bill is ready for royal assent.
In exceptional cases, when the two Houses do not reach agreement, the bill falls.
https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/...of-amendments/
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 04:50 PM

I just pointed out that royal assent may take longer than the few hours bread mentioned.

You forget the fisheries bill started in the house of lords.
I won't make you ask why that matters.
When a bill has passed through third reading in both Houses it is returned to the first House (where it started) for any amendments made by the second House to be considered. The fisheries bill returns to the house of lords where the amendment from HoC will be considered.
If the Commons makes amendments to the bill, the Lords must consider them and either agree or disagree to the amendments or make alternative proposals.

If the Lords disagrees with any Commons amendments, or makes alternative proposals, then the bill is sent back to the Commons.

A bill may go back and forth between each House until both Houses reach agreement on the exact wording of the bill – this is known as ‘ping pong’.

When the exact wording has been agreed by the Commons and the Lords, the bill is ready for royal assent.
In exceptional cases, when the two Houses do not reach agreement, the bill falls.
https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/...of-amendments/
I suspect you watched the same TV series as I did about the workings of Parliament and the HoL so we'll leave it there. Although one thing you omitted from your post was to say that this Bill is JOINTLY sponsored by Lord Gardiner of Kimble and George Eustice both of whom were in DeFRA (Mr Eustice is now Environment Secretary) so, if anything, it's a joint effort.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

05-07-2020, 11:34 PM

I suspect you watched the same TV series as I did about the workings of Parliament and the HoL so we'll leave it there. Although one thing you omitted from your post was to say that this Bill is JOINTLY sponsored by Lord Gardiner of Kimble and George Eustice both of whom were in DeFRA (Mr Eustice is now Environment Secretary) so, if anything, it's a joint effort.
No, I just read what your government puts on it's site.
The mention of george eustice plus lord gardiner of kimble is because this bill started it's life in the previous parliament in 2018. In december, before elections, the bill was carried over by motion to the next session, with the new parliament.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 12:40 AM

During one of these debates, lord gardiner of kimble promised the house to inform them on a number of subjects by lettre. In his lettre of 25 februari 2020 (you may find it here: https://services.parliament.uk/Bills...documents.html ) the lord stated the text I show below. It is rather interesting, especially the part starting with the sentence: "as stated in the fisheries white paper".

Do you, or bread or swim, have an explanation for this?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200706-012943.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	13142  
Percy Vere

06-07-2020, 04:14 PM

No, I just read what your government puts on it's site.
The mention of george eustice plus lord gardiner of kimble is because this bill started it's life in the previous parliament in 2018. In december, before elections, the bill was carried over by motion to the next session, with the new parliament.
I'm afraid you're wrong again. The first Bill fell when Boris called the General Election last December. What is going through Parliament now is a new Bill.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 04:58 PM

I'm afraid you're wrong again. The first Bill fell when Boris called the General Election last December. What is going through Parliament now is a new Bill.
The bill fell after prorogation, boris election was not the demarking date, sorry, wrong again.

What laws have been lost after Parliament's suspension?

Only three pieces of legislation were carried over, meaning laws setting up post-Brexit arrangements for immigration, fishing, trade and agriculture as well as bills reforming divorce law, introducing tougher sentencing for animal cruelty and protecting public toilets all fell.

The bills can be re-introduced after Parliament returns on 14 October if the government chooses to do so but all progress made is lost and MPs and peers must start their scrutiny from scratch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49655201

The fisheries bill (the same bill, other years because of elapsed time) was reintroduced in the house of lords.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

06-07-2020, 05:01 PM

After cooling down after you read my post, have you any explanation for the text stating the government has no intention of changing the quota system? Post 86.
Percy Vere

07-07-2020, 03:29 PM

After cooling down after you read my post, have you any explanation for the text stating the government has no intention of changing the quota system? Post 86.
You thought I was angry because I needed to cool down? What a laugh. You haven't, nor never will, see me angry.

As for the document you attached, I have no definitive answer but I do have an opinion. Do you want to read it?

Oh, and BTW, yes, you were right, it was prorogation that caused the fisheries bill to fall not the dissolution of Parliament. Mea culpa.

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top