Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 05:59 PM

Curious questions we never ask

Why has Tin Foil a shiny and dull side, is there a way how we should use it.

Do people who were born blind dream ? Do they create images in their mind from touch.

Why do Atheists get married in church.

Must you be rich to be a snob

Who first used certain swear/vulgar words, why, and how did they come about to be used so commonly in today’s world wide societies.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 06:29 PM

Re: Curious questions we never ask

Originally Posted by marciniak ->

Do people who were born blind dream ? Do they create images in their mind from touch.

Who first used certain swear/vulgar words, why, and how did they come about to be used so commonly in today’s world wide societies.
Yes I think tin foil has a specific way to be used
I would imagine blind people create images in their heads, and dream about them
I suppose atheists do get married in church, at least some do,aren’t weddings all about the spectacle?
I’ve known a few people who are snobs and not rich, and rich people who are very down to earth
I would think swearing has been around for a long time, and todays swear words have evolved from them
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:58 PM

Tin foil?..I always use so shiny side is out. Dunno why.
Blind people do dream. They dream about what they know as they are - like all of us.
An atheist will get married in a church. Mostly because it's what their partner wants.
Snobs? I have something to say about them. There are different kinds of snobs. In my country the biggest snobs are often "wannabees". People who want to hang with the rich crowd. People who think they have "class" - whatever that is. But many people of old money and genuine class I have met have been totally down to Earth and not snobs at all. There are intellectual snobs. They are by no means always rich but will bully you with their knowledge or supposed intellectual superiority. And inverse snobs - NOt people who are simply working class and haven't had opportunities, but those who are ignorant and proud of it. And put down anybody who used their brain.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:16 PM

Usually snobs are those who reckon they are richer and better than others but in fact often are not.

I've posted this YouTube video on here before. For those who haven't seen this then it seems Michael McIntyre knows about the rich, the snobbish and where they shop:

There's more too if you enjoyed that last one:

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 11:12 PM

I use the shiney side up for covering food cooked in the oven & dull side up to line my grill pan so it stays fairly clean.

I expect people who are born blind do dream.

I was not married in church, but in a registry office.

I guess some rich people are snobs & some are snobs who aren't rich, though all the 'gentry' I've met were very nice people.

I think it's fairly modern society that have invented most really bad swear words, I don't think there was much swearing in the 18th/19th centuries.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 05:40 AM

Actually I do know why Aluminium foil has a shiny side and a matt side.

When the aluminium is rolled to make it thinner it eventually gets so thin that two layers have to be rolled together - where the rollers touch the material it is shiny but the surfaces where the two layers touch remains matt.

There is no right or wrong side it is just a consequence of the rolling process.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Tin foil?..I always use so shiny side is out. Dunno why.
Blind people do dream. They dream about what they know as they are - like all of us.
An atheist will get married in a church. Mostly because it's what their partner wants.
Snobs? I have something to say about them. There are different kinds of snobs. In my country the biggest snobs are often "wannabees". People who want to hang with the rich crowd. People who think they have "class" - whatever that is. But many people of old money and genuine class I have met have been totally down to Earth and not snobs at all. There are intellectual snobs. They are by no means always rich but will bully you with their knowledge or supposed intellectual superiority. And inverse snobs - NOt people who are simply working class and haven't had opportunities, but those who are ignorant and proud of it. And put down anybody who used their brain.
Excellent post!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Actually I do know why Aluminium foil has a shiny side and a matt side.

When the aluminium is rolled to make it thinner it eventually gets so thin that two layers have to be rolled together - where the rollers touch the material it is shiny but the surfaces where the two layers touch remains matt.

There is no right or wrong side it is just a consequence of the rolling process.
Yes, someone asked the question on tv recently and there is no correct side.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 09:57 AM

The sad thing about snobs and boasters is that really do think that others are impressed. They are not, they couldn't give a stuff.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Good question .....

This is an interesting article which goes some way to answer the question, but note it contains offensive language and will certainly offend some readers, including those with religious leanings:

Feck! A history of swearing from the very first F to the 21st C

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...st-c-1.2676617

Melissa Mohr, the author of Holy Sh*t, A Brief History of Swearing explains how swearing has evolved from Ancient Rome and Biblical times to today and even hints at what the future holds

In many Catholic countries, swearing never made a full transition from religious oaths to sexual/excremental obscenities. In Québec, for example, many of the very worst swearwords are religious in nature, including tabarnak (the tabernacle), câlice (chalice), and ciboire (the ciborium, a container for the Host)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top