Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Before talks even began we had noises off from the EU telling us it is not going to be easy and the allotted time for a trade agreement will not be long enough. Had they forgotten they agreed to this? Their once golden boy, Varadkar, had reminded us what a small country we are and that we would receive a warm welcome if we changed our minds. Dream on Leo.

The EU previously offered May a Canada style trade agreement but she and the remainers close to her wanted a much closer relationship instead. It would appear that this Canada +++ type of agreement is now only on offer with lots of strings attached. Cherry picking by the EU? It seems that Canada and Japan only got their deal because they were far away - the UK is on their doorstep. How many times did they tell us there would be no cherry picking? Some reasons why I think we are in a stronger negotiation position now:

1. May and Robbins are gone and the Civil Service have been threatened with reform/put back in their box.
2. EU export more to us than we sell to them. German car makers refer to the UK as "Treasure Island" because we are their most lucrative market. Just bought one myself.
3. We now have a united government and the PM has a stonking majority.
4. No more remainers traipsing off to Brussels whispering in their ear's telling them to play hard ball and this whole Brexit business can be overturned.

For three and a half years the EU hoped, with all the help and connivance from their Remainer friends over here, that somehow Brexit could be overturned. The GE last December should have put paid to that but I don't think the penny has dropped for the EU just yet. Mr Barnier was fond of reminding us, with barely cocealed glee, that the clock is ticking. Ticking the other way now though isn't it?

The EU are just a glorified civil service. They don't care about businesses in the member states, they only care about politics and playing the part of nothing more than a pantomime villain

I couldn't agree more with what you said above and soon, we will see the fingers of successful businesses in the EU point away from the UK and what we are offering, and instead poke them in anger in the faces of their commission who are turning down a gold plated opportunity staring them in the face.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 10:36 PM

Before talks even began we had noises off from the EU telling us it is not going to be easy and the allotted time for a trade agreement will not be long enough. Had they forgotten they agreed to this? Their once golden boy, Varadkar, had reminded us what a small country we are and that we would receive a warm welcome if we changed our minds. Dream on Leo.

The EU previously offered May a Canada style trade agreement but she and the remainers close to her wanted a much closer relationship instead. It would appear that this Canada +++ type of agreement is now only on offer with lots of strings attached. Cherry picking by the EU? It seems that Canada and Japan only got their deal because they were far away - the UK is on their doorstep. How many times did they tell us there would be no cherry picking? Some reasons why I think we are in a stronger negotiation position now:

1. May and Robbins are gone and the Civil Service have been threatened with reform/put back in their box.
2. EU export more to us than we sell to them. German car makers refer to the UK as "Treasure Island" because we are their most lucrative market. Just bought one myself.
4. No more remainers traipsing off to Brussels whispering in their ear's telling them to play hard ball and this whole Brexit business can be overturned.

For three and a half years the EU hoped, with all the help and connivance from their Remainer friends over here, that somehow Brexit could be overturned. The GE last December should have put paid to that but I don't think the penny has dropped for the EU just yet. Mr Barnier was fond of reminding us, with barely concealed glee, that the clock is ticking. Ticking the other way now though isn't it?

Excellent post Takahashi, glad to see another opinion that tallies
with my own but expressed better than l could do!!
Unfortunately the opposing views on the brexit forum have been of
very low quality up to now as you may have noticed??
Happily it looks like we shant have to put up with it much longer??

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 01:33 AM

For three and a half years the EU hoped, with all the help and connivance from their Remainer friends over here, that somehow Brexit could be overturned. The GE last December should have put paid to that but I don't think the penny has dropped for the EU just yet. Mr Barnier was fond of reminding us, with barely concealed glee, that the clock is ticking. Ticking the other way now though isn't it?
The points you list all are directed to UK internal machinations and have only internal UK effect. They have nothing to do with the EU and therefore have no bearing on present negotiations.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU are just a glorified civil service. They don't care about businesses in the member states, they only care about politics and playing the part of nothing more than a pantomime villain

I couldn't agree more with what you said above and soon, we will see the fingers of successful businesses in the EU point away from the UK and what we are offering, and instead poke them in anger in the faces of their commission who are turning down a gold plated opportunity staring them in the face.

That's what the UK did when they left the EU. You'llsee.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
[/B]

That's what the UK did when they left the EU. You'llsee.

It wasn't a gold plated opportunity. Thats why we left.

If it was that good you would have become a Dutch citizen by now.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The points you list all are directed to UK internal machinations and have only internal UK effect. They have nothing to do with the EU and therefore have no bearing on present negotiations.
I assume you now accept that the UK left the EU last January? So explain to me what you, as a EU citizen, would like from these trade negotiations. Or, what you think or be happy with, for the EU to gain in order to make it a good deal for them.
Apologies if you have already done so in previous posts but I'm new around here and I don't have time to read your previous posts.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:34 AM

I assume you now accept that the UK left the EU last January? So explain to me what you, as a EU citizen, would like from these trade negotiations. Or, what you think or be happy with, for the EU to gain in order to make it a good deal for them.
Apologies if you have already done so in previous posts but I'm new around here and I don't have time to read your previous posts.
Good morning Takahashi, I hope you don't mind me jump in but maybe you are interested in more than one opinion about your inquiry.

IMO the UK and EU have to respect each other, respect each others positions and respect their red lines. I want to take the parties seriously which requires that they really insist on their red lines.

Should their red lines be incompatible for an agreement then it would be pitiful but so be it. There is more at stake than an agreement between two "countries". I use the term "countries" because EU27 seem to be seen as one country by (maybe most) people in the UK. Here EU27 acts and negotiates as one country.

Fishing should imo be removed from the red lines list by the EU. But I have to admit that I don't know all the details about this topic.

EU and UK should keep respect for each other and leave the negotiating table in case an agreement should be impossible. No hard feelings, we are all grown up and you never know when you will need each other again.

As we say in Germany: you always meet twice

Have a good day
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

03-07-2020, 10:18 AM

The EU might want to, at some point actually talk about trade - which is the whole point of the negotiations.

So far each meeting is dedicated to more hours of :

1. breaks / lunch etc than trade
2. everything else that is not trade related.

Yesterdays demand for respect from Barnier just made him sound like a dictator shouting from a balcony in a generals uniform, complete with fake war medals and relic Luger pistol

The totalitarian regime that the EU has become deserves no respect from any western democracy with a set of balls as they are finding out from Boris and Frost.

Next week let's hope Frost sends the EU mafia home early with no deal, while we tear up the WA and move on. It was a clear message yesterday - Frost is just entertaining the EU and face to face meetings are just as pointless as everything else when it comes to negotiating with Brussels.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU might want to, at some point actually talk about trade - which is the whole point of the negotiations.

So far each meeting is dedicated to more hours of :

1. breaks / lunch etc than trade
2. everything else that is not trade related.

Yesterdays demand for respect from Barnier just made him sound like a dictator shouting from a balcony in a generals uniform, complete with fake war medals and relic Luger pistol

The totalitarian regime that the EU has become deserves no respect from any western democracy with a set of balls as they are finding out from Boris and Frost.

Next week let's hope Frost sends the EU mafia home early with no deal, while we tear up the WA and move on. It was a clear message yesterday - Frost is just entertaining the EU and face to face meetings are just as pointless as everything else when it comes to negotiating with Brussels.
So be it!

Donkeyman! 👍😁😁😁😁👍
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Good morning Takahashi, I hope you don't mind me jump in but maybe you are interested in more than one opinion about your inquiry.

IMO the UK and EU have to respect each other, respect each others positions and respect their red lines. I want to take the parties seriously which requires that they really insist on their red lines.

Should their red lines be incompatible for an agreement then it would be pitiful but so be it. There is more at stake than an agreement between two "countries". I use the term "countries" because EU27 seem to be seen as one country by (maybe most) people in the UK. Here EU27 acts and negotiates as one country.

Fishing should imo be removed from the red lines list by the EU. But I have to admit that I don't know all the details about this topic.

EU and UK should keep respect for each other and leave the negotiating table in case an agreement should be impossible. No hard feelings, we are all grown up and you never know when you will need each other again.

As we say in Germany: you always meet twice

Have a good day
Hello and thanks for your post. I don't disagree with anything you have said. I am an optimist and I do think an agreement will be reached. However, there are certain things that some Leavers in this country would find unacceptable if the UK agreed to. But I'm sure you already know what these are.

For me personally I do not want the UK to have to adopt any ECJ rulings - if we have left the EU then to subject the country to any future decisions of the ECJ would be madness. This was one of the reasons people voted to leave back in 2016. Can you think of any other country* that would be happy to agree to something similar when negotiationg a trade deal?

Same with so called "Level Playing Field". If an overseas company want to invest in Europe (including UK) then obviously the UK would like to be able to make investing here more attractive to them than, say, investing in Spain or France. It's called competition but the EU doesn't want a competitive econmy on its doorstop. Why? Are they scared? I worked in Ireland in 1970's for a German company. Ireland was full of German firms back then. Why? Because the Irish government gave them big concessions, tax breaks etc.

The EU want a "long term" agreement/access to fish in UK waters. This is also unacceptable as there is no reason why a fisheries agreement cannot be re-visited on an annual or bi-annual basis. The UK gave too much away when they signed up to the CFP back in the 1970's. Now is an opportunity to make that right. The EU have said there will be no trade deal unless they get access to UK fishing like they have now.

So, the UK will be happy to accept that Canada style trade agreement (with appropriate amendments) that was offered a few years back. That's all we want. Simple really.

Here's a link to fishing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/46401558

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top