Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Re: Debase

In answer to the question- yes. I (along with several other colleagues) were the subject of attack from a serial bully headteacher. Our initial crime was to recognise him for the useless lying pompous piece of shit that he was. But we were targeted since we were not able to keep quiet about it and felt that something needed to be done.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 01:54 PM

It's not an appropriate place to discuss the experiences of any particular individual no. And I never would. THat would be grossly unprofessional - even if I am retired. When I said I offered something on gaslighting, I meant what it is. How to identify it etc. I have never been a perpetrator or a victim. Just a picker up of pieces. The subject was bought up by somebody else asking what it was and I simply responded giving examples and the origin of the term. YOu have nothing to apologise for. It's a while ago and I don't remember who was in the conversation.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Positives and negatives, they go hand in hand and help you recognise both, if either lead to insight, either is Ok.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:38 PM

What is gaslighting?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:56 PM

Until I discovered Smirnoff I thought that dBASE was an early relational database!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
What is gaslighting?
a very nasty thing to do to someone. It involves effing with their mind.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
What is gaslighting?
Particularly nasty by the looks of it ... I'd say the ultimate abuse by playing with someone's mind to convince them they are losing their mind.
Have to say I'd never heard the term before so had to google it. Sounds pretty manipulative and vile.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Particularly nasty by the looks of it ... I'd say the ultimate abuse by playing with someone's mind to convince them they are losing their mind.
Have to say I'd never heard the term before so had to google it. Sounds pretty manipulative and vile.
Thanks Mort, it does sound horrid!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Did the term come from a book which was made into a film in the 1930's? Husband was having an affair with someone who he was shagging in the attic. Whenever he put the lights on up there, the gaslights downstairs would dim. This drove his wife crazy.

Maybe not the longest synopsis in the world, but you get the point
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 05:15 PM

By jove, I think you're right.

Gaslight is a 1944 American psychological thriller film, adapted from Patrick Hamilton's play Gas Light (1938), about a woman whose husband slowly manipulates her into believing that she is going insane.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top