Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

So we have had the reduction in real books, we have had a consolidation of social media to one or two platforms, we have one main search engine which limits what we can see on the net to the banal and mediocre.

Now google decides what we can and cannot search, social media apps focus on the most shallow and fleeting soundbites. A forum like this is hard to find - don't you find that strange? You'd think people would want to talk. Blogs have been sidelined because they make individuals money and not the big corporations.

So who agreed this? You wonder about things like Brexit and charting our own destiny, but where does the internet enable us to chart anything? This is all foisted on us and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.

Am I the only one concerned that we are losing pools of knowledge, creativity and the basic human contact?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 12:25 AM

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

I don't use Google as a search engine, I use duckduckgo.com. it doesn't log your internet searches as Google and Bing do. Having said that, most websites are in thrall to Google analytics so Google keep their eyes on you and store your internet activity using that.

I don't use social media such as Facebook or Twitter so can't comment but I take your point that many people's lives are dominated by using either platform whereby they feel the need to relay the minutea of their lives to all and sundry.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 01:18 AM

With regard to social media and search engines, there IS a choice:

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/technol...l-networks/all

The most popular social networks in the UK

SORTED BY Popularity

54% Facebook
42% Instagram
40% Twitter
38% Google+
34% Pinterest
27% Linkedin
26% Snapchat
18% Reddit
16% Friends Reunited
15% GoodReads
13% Tumblr
10% Myspace
7% Imgur
4% Faceparty
3% Vero
https://wolfberrymedia.co.uk/10-best...gines-in-2018/

10 of the most popular search engines still being used in 2018

1) Google
2) Bing
3) Yahoo
4) Ask
5) Baidu
6) Yandex
7) DuckDuckGo
8) Wolfram Alpha
9) AOL
10) Naver
With regard to forums and blogs, they are going the same way as bulletin boards and diaries - to the wall - as newer technologies enhance "human interfacing" .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 05:10 AM

There is an app that enhances selfies and makes everyone look like barbie dolls with strange blank faces
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:39 AM

There was a time when to search did not require an engine, you just had to be content with a "local area" granted.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There was a time when to search did not require an engine, you just had to be content with a "local area" granted.
My favourite search engine is our Public Library/Archive!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So we have had the reduction in real books, we have had a consolidation of social media to one or two platforms, we have one main search engine which limits what we can see on the net to the banal and mediocre.

Now google decides what we can and cannot search, social media apps focus on the most shallow and fleeting soundbites. A forum like this is hard to find - don't you find that strange? You'd think people would want to talk. Blogs have been sidelined because they make individuals money and not the big corporations.

So who agreed this? You wonder about things like Brexit and charting our own destiny, but where does the internet enable us to chart anything? This is all foisted on us and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.

Am I the only one concerned that we are losing pools of knowledge, creativity and the basic human contact?

Having a bad hair day?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't use Google as a search engine, I use duckduckgo.com. it doesn't log your internet searches as Google and Bing do. Having said that, most websites are in thrall to Google analytics so Google keep their eyes on you and store your internet activity using that.

I don't use social media such as Facebook or Twitter so can't comment but I take your point that many people's lives are dominated by using either platform whereby they feel the need to relay the minutea of their lives to all and sundry.
Hi

I agree, duckduckgo for me as well.

I use Facebook, not my real name, no friends, just great for buying and selling locally.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:28 AM

My search engine is DuckDuckGo and as I do not use any so called social media (Face book etc), what restrictions may or may not exist do not bother me. I visit a few good forum style sites which keep me happy with my on-line time and for the rest, while at home, music fits in nicely. Oh yes, and so far I have been sailing along with a compact non smart phone with built in music player without any bother ..long may it be so!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:38 AM

The most popular social networks in the UK

SORTED BY Popularity

54% Facebook
42% Instagram
40% Twitter
38% Google+
34% Pinterest
27% Linkedin
26% Snapchat
18% Reddit
16% Friends Reunited
15% GoodReads
13% Tumblr
10% Myspace
7% Imgur
4% Faceparty
3% Vero
I don't use, or contribute to, any of these. Except I did use Google+ for storing photos, but that is no longer and has morphed into Google Photos.

I'm a member of two camera/photography sites, one architectural, one local community and this place.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top