Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Comprehensive Boiler Heating and Home Cover

Over the years I've had "home care" (utilities) contracts with various suppliers, including British Gas, Saga and HomeServe.

Saga was the best but, AFAIK, they discontinued the service after a year or two. I seem to return to BG after trying out others, mainly because the quality of service has been excellent, but their prices are getting silly - their latest quote is over £500 pa .....

A quick search has revealed there is a NKOTB called Hometree, which will provide the same service for half the price - has anyone heard of or, better still, used this company .....

https://www.hometree.co.uk/
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Re: Comprehensive Boiler Heating and Home Cover

HomeServe is great value for money when you can take up their £1 per month offer........but after that, they were about the same price as adding that insurance to my home insurance.............but am just about to look at your link!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:40 PM

How about if your boiler goes wrong ring up your local C/H Plumber and have it fixed
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
How about if your boiler goes wrong ring up your local C/H Plumber and have it fixed
I did that. The call out cost.........NOT the repair - was the same amount as the ANNUAL insurance cost!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Isn't reverse cycle A/C more efficient than a boiler? They use a heat pump to heat water these days which is just a reverse cycle A/C stuck on a hot water tank.

BTW I haven't got either and my hot water tank just has an element. I am just curious.

Actually the heat pump variety look exactly the same they are just taller with a grill top section.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	130124 002 Water Heater New Anode.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	9776  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
That's what I would do, and pay cash, after getting recommendations from neighbours on our community website.

If I needed a new boiler, I might take a different approach ... find out what type was most suitable, talk to the manufactures, get recommendations from them on local qualified technicians. I did that with my last boiler fit about ten years ago.

@Lindyloo ... you shouldn't have been charged for call-out unless it was an out of hours emergency.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:43 AM

How about putting money aside each month to pay for repairs? If needed, if you don’t, then you will have a tidy amount to put towards a new boiler, or something else...
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't reverse cycle A/C more efficient than a boiler? They use a heat pump to heat water these days which is just a reverse cycle A/C stuck on a hot water tank.

BTW I haven't got either and my hot water tank just has an element. I am just curious.

Actually the heat pump variety look exactly the same they are just taller with a grill top section.
Reverse cycle a/c is extremely efficient for heating Bruce when using air to air.
Air to water home systems (imo) have just not been perfected yet. I know many unhappy customers with them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 11:11 AM

A "home cover" policy usually includes:

• An annual boiler service
  • 24/7 helpline
  • Unlimited callouts
  • Repairs to your gas boiler, flue and controls, including faults that prevent you from controlling the timings or temperature of your boiler
  • Repairs to the wider central heating system, including radiators, water tanks, pipes and cylinders
  • Repairs to your home's plumbing system and the parts of your water supply pipe that you’re responsible for
  • Repairs to and unblocking of your home’s drains and waste pipes to restore flow within your property boundary
  • Repairs to your home’s mains electrical wiring system (including circuits, fuse box, sockets and light fittings)
  • Repairs to the gas supply pipe (the pipe that connects your gas meter to all other gas appliances)
  • Free boiler replacement if it's less than 7 years old and can't be fixed
  • Repairs for accidental damage

So, for example, recently, I put a call in to my provider for a plumber to fix my "non-flushing" WC - he arrived within 4 hours and fixed it (no charge for parts).

Earlier this year, i discovered that my tap water was not heating up. A call to my provider resulted in a British Gas engineer attending later that day - he stripped and checked the C/H boiler then replaced a malfunctioning controller, all FOC.

Even earlier this year, my back garden was flooded with sewage - a call to my provider resulted in Dyno-Rod attending within the hour - they established that the cause lay off my property and advised that I call the water supply company - no charge for attendance and advice - I then called the utility company to provide immediate attendance in the knowledge that it was their responsibility.

Frankly, I CBA "searching" for help when I most need it, having to wait days for attendance and then getting charged over-the-odds by Jack-the-Lad .....

For me, one call solves it all .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top