Join for free
Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 12:30 PM

Re: Abolition of Cash

One thing that bothers me about any abolition of cash is without it how will children learn the value of money.

When my son was little and had a money box he regularly counted the content and worked out if he enough to buy something or needed to save more likewise my 3 older grandchildren.
Without cash it will be more difficult to teach children about managing money.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
One thing that bothers me about any abolition of cash is without it how will children learn the value of money.

When my son was little and had a money box he regularly counted the content and worked out if he enough to buy something or needed to save more likewise my 3 older grandchildren.
And that is exactly why this country is in the state that it is Meg, with debt that will never be settled. Debt is positively encouraged...When you are in debt the banks have got you by the balls, and that is just what they want.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Good post Meg, and I agree with you.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:42 PM

I am using cards a lot more than I did. i hardly handle cash now. Having said that I have a stash of £20 notes I will need to get rid of before the new ones come out. Not under my mattress as somebody else joked but kept in the house.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I am using cards a lot more than I did. i hardly handle cash now. Having said that I have a stash of £20 notes I will need to get rid of before the new ones come out. Not under my mattress as somebody else joked but kept in the house.
Not a good idea as they are just a little' lumpy', it does of course depend upon how many rolls of them you have stashed away!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not a good idea as they are just a little' lumpy', it does of course depend upon how many rolls of them you have stashed away!
Oh no you don’t put them into rolls if you stuff them under the mattress. Flat packs of say £1000, makes it much more comfortable.
P.S. The ‘new’ 20s are already in circulation.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 10:12 AM

It seems that - in recognition of the decline in being able to obtain cash and the difficulty this presents for so many people - The Treasury is launching a consultation into the possibility of getting cash in shops without having to make a purchase.

It's no great surprise that the industry is already objecting saying - amongst other things - that it will make them more vulnerable to attempts of robbery.
Personally though I don't see quite how they will be holding significantly more cash than they do now.

I mean, it's like a perpetual cycle; those who do use cash will take it out and then spend it again and so the cycle goes on.
And those who use electronic means and cards will continue to do so, like myself who haven't carried cash on a regular basis for years - and the pockets in my trousers last longer as a result!
(I think I have a dusty plastic fiver and a tenner in my wallet for "just in case" - but they must have been in there for certainly well over a year.)

I can see this being beneficial for a certain minority, one of whom is my near-luddite technophobe MIL (bless her) who has an aversion to using her bank card unless it is absolutely necessary.

https://news.sky.com/story/shops-cou...erned-12104105
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 11:33 AM

That’s nothing new. Quite a few shops have cash machines in store.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That’s nothing new. Quite a few shops have cash machines in store.
That might well be true but there are more and more towns and villages without any cash machine.
Also there are many places which only have a pay-to-use cash machine.
"Number of ATMs customers must pay to use increased by almost 40% in a year"
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-charging-fees
The link I first included contains the following:
"The watchdog also expressed concerns about plunging numbers of free-to-use cash machines - with almost 10,000 lost over two years. The BRC said it believed there were just 10,000 left."
So that's another reason why the change is being considered.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2020, 09:49 PM

Can't you get cashout from the checkout at the supermarket?

Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top