Join for free
Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

04-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Re: The disabled - part of us or depart from us?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

It's not a quote mindbender, I said it, but if you wan't an academic quote here you go:-

QUOTED from The Mayo Clinic's archives:

"Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.

Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:

Believing that you're better than others
Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
Exaggerating your achievements or talents
Expecting constant praise and admiration
Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
Taking advantage of others
Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
Being jealous of others
Believing that others are jealous of you
Trouble keeping healthy relationships
Setting unrealistic goals
Being easily hurt and rejected
Having a fragile self-esteem
Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional

Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence or strong self-esteem, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence and self-esteem into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal. In contrast, people who have healthy confidence and self-esteem don't value themselves more than they value others.

But underneath all this behavior often lies a fragile self-esteem. You have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have a sense of secret shame and humiliation. And in order to make yourself feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and efforts to belittle the other person to make yourself appear better."
END OF QUOTE
re-read my original statement that resulted in this verbose response - you have missed the point yet again!

and your answers are becoming narcissistic by nature
mindbender
mindbender is male 

04-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Rubbish - someone, if they have the mind to, can be quite calculated and set out to hurt/offend/belittle/disempower etc. etc. someone else on a forum and in many other situations where human beings come together. Most people are not so thick skinned as to be able to believe "anything you post on here will never upset anyone"
you are still not getting the point - keep re-reading my comments until the light globe comes on!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

04-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I have said it several times on this forum and loads of times on others, there is a world of difference between being disabled, and being disabled and chronically ill. If mobility was my wife's only problem, I am sure she would find ways of doing most of the things she would love to do. Unfortunately the chronic illness, pain and the side effects of the medication she needs, are much more disabling than the mere fact of her mobility problems.
Unfortunately for her, what she finds very hard to cope with (as a very intelligent and creative person with an active mind and big personality) is that she has learnt that she has a great many limitations and no amount of hippy dippy bs will change that. The guy in your example sounds great, but what he appears to have that most disabled people don't, is money! A lot of things are much easier when you have money - unless of course, government support for disabled people in Australia includes buying them microlights and airplanes as well as several carers for 6 hours per day.
the guy was an 18 yr old with a motorbike and not much money when the crash occurred - yes the OZ health system is far superior to the british one. maybe its the appalling weather conditions in UK that make people such terrible moaners and whingers - you've heard that old ozzie joke about the whinging pom have you?

Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top