Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-05-2013, 03:56 AM

democracy - v- democracy

I am aware that England is the country with the greatest amount of CCTV town coverage in the world?

But now in a town called Nowra in NSW OZ the use of them has been challenged and taken to a tribunal claiming that there is no evidence that they have reduced crimes. At present by order of Administrative Decisions Tribunal they have been turned off by the council with a review in order.

has there ever been any conclusive evidence in UK that they are actually effective or just make people feel better?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Re: democracy - v- democracy

I think there is no doubt that CCTV has been much more effective in providing evidence of criminal activity than in preventing it.
Large numbers of young people charged after the UK's 2011 summer riots were identified through CCTV footage. CCTV coverage around the recent Boston Marathon bombing also provided a huge amount of evidence which led to the apprehension of the culprits. Whether it is useful in preventing crime is a more doubtful proposition although crime-prevention is usually the big selling point of CCTV schemes. It does seem that they address the fear of crime, rather than the prevention of crime.
I did find one interesting study on CCTV in Colchester which amongst its other conclusions underlined this, "some of its aims are not always fulfilled such as crime prevention"

http://www.colchester.gov.uk/CHttpHa...hx?id=7364&p=0
mindbender
mindbender is male 

05-05-2013, 09:45 AM

I actually forgot to mention that in this scenario the residents complained of an infringement of privacy and that was also a deciding point. However it is being considered in parliament and the decision may be reversed. It would seem that false claims are made in the clamor for crime detection/prevention and lets merge them all into one?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 10:39 AM

I think the infringement of privacy argument is an increasingly valid one, no matter what the benefits of CCTV may be.
In the UK, for example, local authorities are increasingly using both fixed and mobile CCTV to target a variety of behaviours - co-habitation, residence, recycling etc etc - all carried out under the RIPA legislation (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000) which was never intended for such surveillance at all, but was clearly enacted as a counter-terrorism tool.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:27 AM

CCTV was also crucial in finding a man who raped and killed a young girl - the CCTV operators guided the police to where the man had taken the girl; sadly, the police didn't arrive in time but at least the man was arrested and sentenced. They've also been instrumental with gang violence in city centres where cameras have tracked the offenders. I don't mind the cameras as long as their function isn't abused by officials.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 11:34 AM

It is the general public who are demanding, we have CCTV to protect them.
But when they get caught, speeding or on a motoring offence. they really don't like them.
They definitely do lower the crime rate, and they certainly catch those that break the law.
MickB
London UK

05-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
They definitely do lower the crime rate, and they certainly catch those that break the law.
I'm not sure they have any effect on lowering the "crime rate" or deterring crime - except maybe in the specific case of speed cameras - where even then, people only tend to slow down for them and then speed up again immediately afterwards. They certainly seem to "up" the detection rate however, which I guess might eventually have a trickle-down effect on deterrence.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 05:18 PM

They are a 'must' in todays society. I have seen countless 'serious' crimes 'detected' by the cameras..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
They are a 'must' in todays society. I have seen countless 'serious' crimes 'detected' by the cameras..
So have I but at a much less serious level, crimes against Fashion, crimes against the self (obesity), Baldness, Ugliness, all down on tape for posterity.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

05-05-2013, 11:54 PM

same goes for shopkeepers who are told by insurance companies - leave your lights blaring all night it will deter thieves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top