Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Re: Jury service

It was nice that our jury were all respectful of others views, no animosity because you didn't agree with each other.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 11:13 AM

I did jury service once and found it very interesting. The biggest lesson I learned was about hypocrisy.

We had one case (obviously have to be sparse on the details) where a supermarket had taken a woman to court for theft. Her two year old child had been seen taking a Mars Bar from the shelf and placing it in mum's shopping bag (not the supermarket basket). There was no indication that the mother was aware of this. When she reached the tills, she paid for all the goods in her basket and left the store where she was apprehended by a store detective and the Mars Bar was discovered. The jury was split on this one. Most of us were shocked and surprised that the CPS had brought such a flimsy case to court until the judge told us that it was supermarket policy to prosecute all shoplifting. A substantial minority thought that if she hadn't been aware of what her child was doing, she was (a) a bad mother and deserved all she got; and (b) guilty of not keeping a proper eye on her child. Eventually she was acquitted on a majority vote. The hypocrisy came in at the end of the week when we were all asked to complete expenses claims. I said I wouldn't bother as my employer was paying me as usual and my travel hadn't cost me any more than getting to work normally would. Imagine my surprise (not) when the leader of the minority group in the Mars Bar case (No not that Mars Bar case) called me a fool for not screwing "them" for all I could get. He and a couple of others were making false claims amounting to hundreds of times the value of the Mars Bar. I did mention it to them, but they just couldn't see the irony!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 11:58 AM

It's that kind of thing Mick that clogs up the Courts and with a jury as well! It beggars belief. I'm sure a Magistrates Court could have dealt with that one. All that cost to the tax payer over a Mars Bar - no wonder the country can't keep cash in its coffers.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Supermarket should have a bit more common sense. Ok have the woman back and tell her that it is supermarket policy to take it further, and if it happens again they will, but as it was a child and one small item, she should be given the opportunity to pay for it, and let that be it.

I don't like to see adults open packets say bag of crsips, packet of drink etc to give to children, they might pay at the end, but it doesn't set a very good example to the children who might not understand this.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Agree with you Valice ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 01:16 PM

A few months ago I was told my name was on the jury roll and I have just received a summons for Jury Duty for early next month. District or Supreme Court, Criminal Jurisdiction, B panel; thank goodness (hate Civil see below).

About 20 years ago I was on panels for two consecutive terms of two years each but was only had to attend the court four times. I don't know the procedure elsewhere but here you are picked at random off the electoral roll to form a panel, then about 40 members of that panel are picked at random to attend court on a specific day any time for as often as needed during the two years. It is quite possible to never be called too.

I don't mind it, you get paid a little, are well fed and it can be moderately interesting.

The juries I hate being on are the civil claims cases with four jurors, usually workers compensation or insurance claims, because they never get to a verdict. The lawyers merely go to court to test the strength of the other party's case then they always settle (not to do so would create a legal precedent). Being on those juries is a total waste of time, I was on three of them for three days and each time they settled by mid afternoon on the first day.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 01:58 PM

I think it's a good thing that they pick random and varied age/cultural folk to serve in courts, the idea of professional juries bothers me ,too open to corruption etc imo
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Fair comment - just hope they are very 'selective'...
I shudder at the thought of some jurors that are springing to my mind, who could not possibly comprehend whats put before them and could they be 'bovvered' - I think not !
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK

09-05-2013, 06:37 PM

I did hear of someone who was sent a letter for jury service, they didn't respond, saying it comes by normal post, so what's to say it was delivered or not. Nothing further came of it.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
Supermarket should have a bit more common sense. Ok have the woman back and tell her that it is supermarket policy to take it further, and if it happens again they will, but as it was a child and one small item, she should be given the opportunity to pay for it, and let that be it.
I completely agree. I worked in retail when I was in my twenties. A man came to the Customer Service desk one day and, with some embarassment, told us his toddler was a shoplifter. The child had her own little shopping bag with toys to amuse her while out with her parents and they didn't see her stuff some size 2 pyjamas with a popular cartoon character on them into her bag. When they found the item at home the dad immediately came back to the store. It was treated with good humour all around. I'm sure that couple watched the little one after that.

I don't like to see adults open packets say bag of crsips, packet of drink etc to give to children, they might pay at the end, but it doesn't set a very good example to the children who might not understand this.
Right again.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top