Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Re: Hopscotch - or Graffiti ...

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I read the article and it says two policemen stopped the girl.
The police are trying to trace the officers concerned, they say there was no patrol car in the area...all a bit worrying, isn't it?
Do you wonder if they were impersonating the police? Certainly strange.

Well if they don't like hopscotch they would have been appalled at our driveway when my girls were about 13. They would take turns collapsing on the ground and drawing outlines around each other to make it look like a crime scene. I didn't find it amusing but I didn't make a fuss over it either. They got bored of it and the rain washed all away eventually.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 10:10 PM

Is it all about stats, another crime solved.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is it all about stats, another crime solved.
Aha!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Yet another reason to be so glad we were born when we were - you know: before the Britain went mad ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 10:49 AM

So right Karen - with you all the way ...
Its a 'mad. mad, mad, mad world !!!'
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 10:53 AM

I'm sitting here trying to think of things I don't see any more that we used to do as kids that were considered commonplace. What about hula hoops - do you still see them Pats? I can remember a group of us girls hoola hooping away; skipping races, hopscotch (obviously!), little girls pushing toy prams with a doll inside - can't think of any more at the moment but haven't really thought about all that before - I just don't see those things on a daily basis!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Hulas did make a comeback in the late 90's but thats it...
Makes me laugh - all these techno toys, we 'know' kids would be happier with bygone toys, using their imagination, even cardboard boxes ! I liked the meccano and my fav was a paper doll with paper clothes ! Fab
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Oh crikey yes - I'd forgotten those paper dolls cut out of magazines and the clothes would be cut out and they had little tags to put them on the doll didn't they (that's making me chuckle remembering that).

My granddaughters both go go-karting and it's about £30 for 20 mins - my brother used to let me ride his for nothing! But I'm told that that doesn't count as it didn't have an engine but I'll bet it was just as much fun

Do kids climb trees still I wonder? Rope swings? I've also just remembered that one of my best friends and I would walk around with one of my legs tied to hers (kind of 3-legged race way) - no real reason for doing it, it just seemed fun at the time and then you add another friend until there's a line of you doing it! I'm now wondering if we were actually all that sane
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 11:10 AM

Oh we were sane alright gal - Seeing kids play now, well I dont, heard on the radio yesterday, schoolteachers complaining about video games, because the kids re-enact them at school and we're talking mindless violence here - not cowboys an indians !!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 11:31 AM

You know - you hear a lot about Scouting and kids not interested but I didn't find that here (or in Birmingham). I would take them camping (obviously!) but also kayaking, abseiling, orienteering, we'd have days at the marina where the boat and yacht owners would take the Scouts out and let them have a go; we'd have raft building days and race against other groups (all hoping the rafts would come apart in the water cos, basically, it's really funny to watch that happen), they'd learn backwoods cooking and utensil/'furniture' making. I really don't understand why youngsters would prefer to sit indoors on pc games than do all of that!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top