Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Re: Road tax

Spain doesn't have road tax but toll charges on their motorways and all of the roads in the main areas (that I've driven through anyway) were in good condition by and large. I suspect, that as with other things, it's all about mismanagement of finances raised by our various governments that leads to road tax not being used for the upkeep of the road surfaces.

Having said that - I do agree that if the law states that every driver on British roads has to have a current road tax licence, then that should apply to visiting drivers. Again, in Spain, if you are found to be driving without a first aid box, flourescent jackt and hazard warning sign, you will be fined heavily - even as a tourist.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 01:49 PM

We have a lot of hard frosts, that help to break up our roads.
We need foreign lorries to come in, with goods we like to buy, and take back goods that we import, good business all round.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Of course Arfa, but why not have the same system as other countries over here .... Thats all I ask ....
I mean - they want to change our nanas and other silly things - but when it comes to 'important' things, you dont hear a peep outa them ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 01:59 PM

I agree we need the imports but preferably with out them driving like lunatics possibly killing other motorists.

,Must be a happy medium surely ?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree we need the imports but preferably with out them driving like lunatics possibly killing other motorists.

,Must be a happy medium surely ?
You have just given me an idea Julie, have a hub by the docks to drop their trailer, and pick up up a full one from here to take back.
Even better, make the ferry the hub, drop their trailer on the ferry, then we pick it up here, and loading a full one in it's place.
This will give customs the time to scrutinise them actually on the journey.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 02:39 PM

Now that sounds just too simple and good to be true, so will never happen LOL
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
You have just given me an idea Julie, have a hub by the docks to drop their trailer, and pick up up a full one from here to take back.
Even better, make the ferry the hub, drop their trailer on the ferry, then we pick it up here, and loading a full one in it's place.
This will give customs the time to scrutinise them actually on the journey.
You know Wrinkly, this is something I've often wondered about: why don't they bring back the rolling stock? That would free up the road - granted, probably less fuel tax but given the congestion and the accidents, surely it would work out cheaper and more efficient?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

14-05-2013, 06:40 PM

I am surprised Eddie Stoparts, hasn't bought his own ferry, he has his only airport, trains and of course his lorries, iot just makes sense for him to take to the waters.
He could stitch up the transport business on the continent, if he did.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top