Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Evangelism

Can anyone explain the allure of Evangelism ....
Saw on a docu last night, a woman, heavy with make-up and pretty-penny clothes, reciting the bible (America - of course) millions of 'em over there, but why - I ask, do people need to listen to this woman telling them what they already know !! She has profited millions of dollars, as so many others .....
Whats it all about .....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Re: Evangelism

Well the definition of evangelism is spreading the word of the gospel, and that's just what she was doing. Maybe people do already know - or think they know - all about the word of God, but it's her mission to remind people I guess, and hopefully make them think about what it all means.

Incidentally, what does pretty penny clothes mean?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Well the people that attend already know these things - they are 'God fearing people'
Are they gullible as well - if its 'her' mission - why all the money....
I wonder does she give it all to good causes, I've yet to hear that ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Yes, they are gullible. I suppose they want to feel they belong to a group that they have something in common with.

I was watching The Big Questions on Sunday and some audience members were very scathing about the attitude of some of these relgious groups that they can be divisive and dismissive of others that don't share their faith. Not sure how true that is to be honest.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2013, 05:46 PM

I heard from a Christian woman the following - 'Church - is for sinners'
Theres a lot of truth in that - been my displeasure to witness that, so I really just dont get it ....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 09:22 AM

I tend to equate evangelism with exploitation...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Evangelists come in two types IMO, one will believe what they preach and the money is a bonus and ones who just say anything to get the money.

TBH I don't see giving money as part of my Faith, charity is part of it but I don't support any organisation that makes money out of my beliefs.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Pleased to hear it !!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 02:16 PM

I watched a program on TV this weekend where they take people of different faiths and swap them over. In this program a devout Christian from an evangelistic church in Tasmania was swapped with the son of a devout Hindu family from Sydney.

While the girl was welcomed into the home and worship of the Hindus and treated as someone on a slightly different path, the young man was told that he would rot in hell and that was his only choice.

The girl felt included and safe with the Hindu family and somewhat confused about what her faith told her the boy felt isolated and damned by the Christian faith/worshippers.

It was a very interesting and revealing comparison.

There is something about it here
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Yep - seen similar programme over here - love them....
Not surprised at all by the difference you mention .....
Hope the girl re-considers her options

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top