Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:08 AM

Re: Please Help Me Get To The Bottom Of This!

Yep, the prep is crap (so to speak)
but the colonoscopy is a breeze under light anaesthetic (often just Diazepam - valium).
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 06:58 AM

I told the doc that there's no way I'd knowingly let anyone insert anything up my yaris, so he agreed to a general anusthetic......job(by) done.

Just imagine you're smuggling some weed into Walton jail, just like most well meaning Scousers;-p

Good luck matey.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 07:19 AM

It could either be a colonoscopy (the whole length of the colon), or a sigmoidoscopy just the last section of the colon.
I have had them both.... on a few occasions !
They are totally painless just a bit uncomfortable.
I didn't even have any sedation.
As has been said the preparation is the worst, having to drink a couple of litres of laxative solution at home prior to your appointment.
If you are diabetic, like me you can request an enema just prior to the procedure instead of the laxative....this is OK for the sigmoidoscopy but occasionally is not effective enough for a full colonoscopy and you may have to go through it all again at a later date.
Tea and toast is provided after the event whilst you recover and expel all the air that has been pumped into your bowel from the procedure....very entertaining.
I drove home afterwards each time, no problem.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 05:02 PM

I was going to reply to this till I saw the date when this was started.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I was going to reply to this till I saw the date when this was started.
Well spotted galty....I blame twodogs !!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 07:09 PM

Just for a quick update chaps.
I had that done on me bum of course, and very painful it was and all.
They found two polyps which if left up my rear end can turn cancerous.
Thankfully they where removed, so hopefully I have avoided the grim reaper.
At least for now!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 08:08 PM

Ahh yes I remember the picolax 3 days prior think that's the most unpleasant part really . They do sedate you before and will give you more if you tell them . I fell asleep after asking for more sedation . Some tell me they have watched the computer screen which shows it all happening but I didn't want to do that .

It's uncomfortable like most procedures , ask for more sedation and it will be over quickly
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I urge everyone who gets a poop test kit in the post to send it back too.
I'm just in the middle of mine right now. Not sat on the toilet, I hasten to add: have done the first two and the last one either tomorrow or the day after, depending on 'circumstances'.

Good advice. I always do the ones they send me.

As for a colonoscopy, I have witnessed several and never heard anyone screaming in agony. As others have said, at worst just a little uncomfortable and perhaps embarrassing.

If you have a barium enema, the same applies with the additional difficulty of keeping 'it' in until you are sent to the toilet. I have seen one or two older patients fail to completely manage it and leave a trail of white 'emissions' all the way to the toilet. On the positive side, though, you'd be wearing a hospital gown and so there'd be no 'consequences' involving your own clothes, and some other lucky person will have the job of mopping it up!

Unless a repeat performance occurs on the way home!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Ahh yes I remember the picolax 3 days prior think that's the most unpleasant part really . They do sedate you before and will give you more if you tell them . I fell asleep after asking for more sedation . Some tell me they have watched the computer screen which shows it all happening but I didn't want to do that .

It's uncomfortable like most procedures , ask for more sedation and it will be over quickly
Well I was given sedation Susan with I do believe they give to some Women who are having a baby.
Even breathing that stuff in at times, I reckon it was even worse than having a baby!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2016, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
Well I was given sedation Susan with I do believe they give to some Women who are having a baby.
Even breathing that stuff in at times, I reckon it was even worse than having a baby!
Then, of course, women make such a fuss about childbirth, don't they? A perfectly natural procedure that women have been doing for millennia.

In fact, I read somewhere that a woman in China gives birth every ten seconds. The poor thing must be pretty fed up with it by now.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top