Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2016, 03:35 PM

Re: Flying with tinnitus

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
About a year ago I developed tinnitus, the ringing or howling disorder affecting the ears.

Next week I fly away for my holidays and this will be the first time with this ear complaint. I'm wondering how it will affect me.

Normally I get - like most people - the temporary deafness until my ears 'pop', then all is okay. This may be different this time. I have some ear plugs which may help.

Anyone suffered with this and can help with tips, etc?
I have had tinnitus for about 30 years, worse in the last 10 years or so. It hasn't caused me any problems when flying.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2016, 01:28 AM

Flying with tinnitus - sounds like an advert for an airline

fly with tinnitus the airline that promises to give you a buzz in the ears!!
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2016, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Floydy;997531]Thanks for your replies folks, nothing to worry about it seems

EZ Rider - What do Emirates Airlines know that we don't about tinnitus I wonder?[/QUOTE]

I fly with Emirates Airways-I am flying with Tinnitus, get it

Had it for years and is the least of my problems. I thought it was caused by minute near invisible hairs that bend.

Have a good holiday and don't look at women
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Had it for years and is the least of my problems. I thought it was caused by minute near invisible hairs that bend.
I'm not sure that anyone knows for sure what the cause is. Some say damage to the microscopic 'hairs' in the cochlea that you mention; others think it's damage to nerves from the ear to the brain (or even within the brain). Perhaps it's both or even other things.

The point is, unfortunately, that it cannot be cured, just masked to an extent.

Many years ago, an anaesthetist was doing some research into acupuncture and agreed to try it on me. I can't remember exactly where the needles went: not near my ears anyway.
It didn't work, of course.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2016, 07:12 PM

JBR...had the noise for years, such a small problem I take little notice of it and cannot understand why some people make such a fuss about it. Compared to my other problems it is nothing. Perhaps its one concern is it mimic's my heartbeat and what that is doing.

Now my wife has turned Strictly on, such a distraction when posting
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
JBR...had the noise for years, such a small problem I take little notice of it and cannot understand why some people make such a fuss about it. Compared to my other problems it is nothing. Perhaps its one concern is it mimic's my heartbeat and what that is doing.

Now my wife has turned Strictly on, such a distraction when posting
Yes, I understand what you mean. I suppose I'm even luckier, as my tinnitus is not pulsatile - just a constant whistling sound. It's true that the longer you have it, the less noticeable it becomes, at least that's my own experience. You become used to it.

Of course, some people have it much more severely, which may be more difficult to ignore.

I'm also very lucky, as my wife forgot that Strictly was on and now she's missed it. I'm not being nasty: she never mentioned it earlier or I'd have put it on or recorded it (and then listened to some music on my headphones).
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Flying won't affect you. Tinnitus is in the brain not the ears. (I have had it for years)
It can be caused by a variety of physical effects such as spasm of the tiny muscles in the inner ear, abnormalities in the blood vessels around the ear, increased blood flow to the ear or anatomical abnormalities of the blood vessels.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top