Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Yikes!. side effects.

After my recent visit to the GP, ptth, ptth, ptth, No examination, BP, or blood sugar tests, im back on nine different medications, 25 pills a day.

Being nebby sort i decided to heck what im being dosed with, and im shocked at the possible side effects, some seem to give the same problems and some seem to exacerbate my current conditions.

Im left wondeing if some of these are part of the scheme which rewards GP`s for treating folks via QOF points currently £165 for each point.

Nevermind dug out the old BP meter, and set it going, result im off the scale, i may explode in the next week.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 12:10 PM

Re: Yikes!. side effects.

Nom, I am not surprised your BP is high.
If you want to treat yourself to a decent book on medicines and drugs, may I suggest this one.

There is info on thousands of drugs, their uses, information for users, possible side effects, interactions, and long term use effects.

I have it and there is a whole lot of info in there and it is easy to read and understand too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMA-Concise.../dp/0241201012
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 12:11 PM

That's not good Nom and you beat me only 17 tabs daily here best place if you think things are not agreeing with you or each other I find is pharmacy as they will tell you if there are interactions you need to be aware of. They can also check bp too I've just realised.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks ladies, i have a good books on both Blood pressure and Diabetes Mups, both belong to the Dummies series and are very comprehensive and should be given by to newly diagnosed patients.

Im afraid its my own fault, i gave up all medication at Christmas as i was sick to the core after last year taking stuff and feeling unwell.

On the plus side ive got a bit of mobility back so have been tidying up the hovel and found £3:50 in the pocket of a pair of shorts.

Thanks Mups have added to my basket for my next order.

Im thick as thieves with my Phamracy Julie, found them very helpful.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 12:59 PM

I'm an ex dispenser / pharmacy technician. At one stage I was doing 500 prescriptions a day. Some I'm sure were not needed!
I read the contraindications of any medicines I'm prescribed and decide if I think the side effects are worse than the condition, then I don't take them.
I've developed a sort of phobia to medication I suppose. I only take whats absolutely necessary. Pain killers are taken very carefully, as with most of them I believe, the more you take the more you need.
Also taking painkillers for me means taking something else to counteract the effects on my tum and so on...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 01:07 PM

You need to demand a review of your medications Nom, it's no good saying nothing and just walking out of the surgery with yet another prescription.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 01:10 PM

I tell my doctor that I don't want a prescription, I want her to diagnose what's wrong and if there's something that can be done about it, seeing a consultant, physio etc.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

29-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Tessa im much the same as yourself past experience has taught me to beware, statins in particular did a lot of damage, and i know what you mean about painkillers especially codeine which works but is very hard on the system. You do expect the GP to understand the interactions of medications but i think that would be very hard as there are so many.

I have found it gets right up their noses if you have done a bit or research and start asking questions. you but i do need a complete head to toe medical. may even investigate a private practice.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

29-09-2016, 03:18 PM

I saw on the news, just after my above post, that painkillers have been linked to heart failure!
Lately I've been using Diclofenac gel for joint and muscled pain. It seems to have some benefit but not for as long as it says on the packet!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2016, 05:17 PM

I take Diclofenac too, for the same reason. I have multiple joint pain and hip bursitis. But I don't take it every day, only on my bad days.

The article stated that the higher risk is associated more with elderly people, like 65 and older and also for those who take it every day as opposed to just once in a while. I'm not that old yet (I'm 52) but I do have high blood pressure that I take medication for. So I could be at risk as well.

But then there are risks with any medication. Remember the bad rap statins got because they were associated with a higher risk of stroke, heart attack and muscle weakness, etc? Now they're saying statins could actually help your heart.

I don't think any of those people know what they're talking about

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top