Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:51 PM

Re: An 'orrible lump

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Except that by that reckoning the way to treat snake bites is with a tourniquet or a knife or sucking the poison out all of which are wrong and dangerous. Or perhaps you still think most illnesses can be cured by blood letting

Ticks, snakes, heart disease have all been around a long time but treatment has changed and putting up boring old useless videos doesn't change that fact. As I already said the correct modern way to treat ticks is to freeze them - can't you read?.
Wot? Like sticking your leg/arm or whatever in the freezer?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Wot? Like sticking your leg/arm or whatever in the freezer?
If you wish but more likely using an ether based freezing spray. >>Read this<<
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 07:00 AM

My border collie used to get ticks all the time up on Exmoor, i was forever pulling them out with a little hook, you can get them from any pet shop or most chemists. the hook has a little v shape on the end, which you insert under the head of the tick and twist it out, making sure the head comes out etc, they usually feed on the blood and swell up, then drop off when they are bloated, and yes some carry Lyme disease , but not all ,.so you were lucky well done for taking it to the doctors,!
by the way, a tick usually waits on a plant, ( something like gorse ) , and when an animal or human passes and brushes against the plant, the tick clings on to the fur or hair, climbs up, then burrows into the skin to feed on the blood, that's how you caught it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 07:05 AM

It sounds like a good idea to me! If a person was biting you, and you had a spray big enough to freeze them, I expect the shock from the freeze spray would make them stop what they were doing and release the bite so they could try to survive.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Thanks
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 10:22 AM

According to an article on ABC News there is no Lyme disease in Australia

Thousands of Australians claim to be suffering from tick-borne Lyme disease but a new report insists there is no evidence it exists in Australia.

Key points:

• Report says positive test results were likely to be false positives
  • Researchers concerned about increasing number of patients seeking antibiotic treatment
  • Some illnesses caused by tick-borne bacteria yet to be identified

Researchers said there was no evidence the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease was found in local animals or ticks, and said positive test results in people who had not been overseas were likely to be false positives.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Having been bitten by the tic, it makes me think that every little thing could be down to Lyme Disease. Research on the Internet puts just about everything down to being a possible symptom.

I don't have the problem but typed in this Internet search term as a joke: 'itchy bottom lyme disease' never really expecting anything to come up. Sure enough though, there it is. Maybe I'll try 'increased appetite for licorice toffees' next.

Seriously, I have had a runny nose and been sneezing like mad (another symptom) but this has now mostly gone and I now think it was just a cold. Since the incubation period of Lyme Disease can be ages, I suppose I'll always be wondering if the next bit of bad health really is a symptom.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Having been bitten by the tic, it makes me think that every little thing could be down to Lyme Disease. Research on the Internet puts just about everything down to being a possible symptom.

I don't have the problem but typed in this Internet search term as a joke: 'itchy bottom lyme disease' never really expecting anything to come up. Sure enough though, there it is. Maybe I'll try 'increased appetite for licorice toffees' next.

Seriously, I have had a runny nose and been sneezing like mad (another symptom) but this has now mostly gone and I now think it was just a cold. Since the incubation period of Lyme Disease can be ages, I suppose I'll always be wondering if the next bit of bad health really is a symptom.
Mart, Having been through cancer and chemo therapy I understand your thoughts. For the last 5 years I have blamed the cancer or chemo for every minor illness.....but it doesn't do any harm to be cautious!. Just remember that your doctor has it in your notes, so if you feel ill, never be afraid of saying " It couldn't be anything to do with that tic, could it?". I am sure you will be fine, but it does no harm to check!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top