Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:11 AM

Talc and Possible Cancer risk

(Should this be in the health section Meg?)

I have just read about a third woman in America who has successfully sued Johnson & Johnson for giving her Ovarian Cancer through using their baby Talcum Powder.
She was awarded £58 million despite there being no scientific evidence linking the use of talc for feminine hygiene with cancer.

This lady is the third woman to win their case against the firm, the other two receiving payouts of £59 million and £45 million - colossal amounts.

The Interrnation Agency for Research on Cancer classifies the use of talc as "probably carcinogenic", but her lawyer said case studies show regular use on genital areas mean a 40% higher cancer risk.

The case would not succeed in this country as it was not based on clinical facts.

Johnson & Johnson are facing 1,700 more cases and plan to appeal the verdicts. They must be very worried indeed!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 01:19 AM

Re: Talc and Possible Cancer risk

The perceived 'problems' with talc have been around for some years Mups I didn't use it on my son or grandchildren mainly from the persective of getting chalk dust on their lungs .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 07:02 AM

Isn't talc just powdered up soapstone? I don't think it is chalk, chalk is the bodies of sea creatures whereas Talc is greasy and formed under pressure (something like that). I have known innumerable kids that used to collect the rock to make small sculptures out of.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 07:55 AM

It is also believed that drinking wine can increase the risk of Breast cancer, and we all know that cigarettes are blamed for lung cancers.
I often wonder if the increase in cancer is because we all use things, when we have no real idea of what has gone into them, and if we stopped using them and went back to basics, would cancer occurrence reduce?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:02 AM

If human beings gave up every product that has ever been claimed to cause cancer
or if we raced off to buy every alleged cancer 'cure' or preventative ....

we'd all starve to death, run around naked, smell like rotting fish and be permanently broke.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If human beings gave up every product that has ever been claimed to cause cancer

we'd all starve to death, run around naked, smell like rotting fish and be permanently broke.
Don't Knock it till you've tried it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:32 AM

I can see the other side to the argument Pummy because we would all be broke, as nobody would be working in industries that manufacture all these products... so all on unemployment benefits.
However, if we don't discover what causes health problems, how can anybody make a choice to try and stay healthy?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't Knock it till you've tried it.
The ancient Egyptians used to use crocodile dung (inserted) as a contraceptive.
I suspect that must of our lady members would "knock" that, having tried it or not
Pumicestone
Australia

30-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
.... we would all be broke, as nobody would be working in industries that manufacture all these products... so all on unemployment benefits....
The entire British workforce is involved in quirky cancer cures ?
Perhaps the few jobs which might be lost could be replaced with jobs involving genuine research into what causes health problems - and treatment ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

30-10-2016, 10:00 AM

The entire British workforce is involved in quirky cancer cures ?
Perhaps the few jobs which might be lost could be replaced with jobs involving genuine research into what causes health problems - and treatment ?
NO PUMMY
I meant the people who manufacture the items we all blame for cancer.!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top