Join for free
Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 09:33 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

CCleaner scam?

I just went for a quick poo, leaving Chrome and this forum open, only to find when I returned what appeared to be an advert from CCleaner.
It stated "You are now running the latest version of CCleaner".

I certainly hadn't opened it, neither had I updated it.

More importantly, I couldn't close the image either by clicking the cross or right-clicking the box on the taskbar. Nothing would close it.
The only way I could close it was to close the computer and then re-start it.

Has anyone else come across something similar?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
CCleaner scam?

I just went for a quick poo, leaving Chrome and this forum open, only to find when I returned what appeared to be an advert from CCleaner.
It stated "You are now running the latest version of CCleaner".

I certainly hadn't opened it, neither had I updated it.

More importantly, I couldn't close the image either by clicking the cross or right-clicking the box on the taskbar. Nothing would close it.
The only way I could close it was to close the computer and then re-start it.

Has anyone else come across something similar?
Ccleaner is owned by Piriform/Avast Antivirus.

If you use them you might get this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Ccleaner is owned by Piriform/Avast Antivirus.

If you use them you might get this.
No, I don't use Piriform or Avast (spit). Sounds like a typical Avast 'marketing' ploy.

I've just checked and found 21 entries for Avast on my system, including 3 in the Recycle bin and several under 'manifest' (don't know what that means!).

Obviously, the rubbish gets everywhere. No wonder I avoid it like the plague.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Just seen on one of my Facebook accounts.

A post asking for money to help a person whoses house has burnt down and asking for contributions to help and gives a go fund link.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Just seen on one of my Facebook accounts.

A post asking for money to help a person whoses house has burnt down and asking for contributions to help and gives a go fund link.
How much did you contribute?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
How much did you contribute?
NIL but they had made £80 already.

The same American one had made $6k
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-04-2021, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
NIL but they had made £80 already.

The same American one had made $6k
I haven't seen it, but unless I knew the people or definitely knew of their situation I'd treat it as a scam.

Unfortunately, there's one born every minute!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2021, 05:55 PM

I think that is fairly sick - some people HAVE had such things happen to them, and Go Fund me has helped enormously. To fake a terrible thing like that just to get money is beyond disgusting. But then again....I worked with someone who faked cancer so seems no holds barred. Its a sad world.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:36 AM

We get calls purporting to come from our bank saying that my debit card has been used by someone else, which is of course a lie. I check all our bank accounts daily.

I also get calls purporting to come from BT saying they are going to close down our service, another lie.

I keep blocking the calls, but then they use a similar but different number.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
We get calls purporting to come from our bank saying that my debit card has been used by someone else, which is of course a lie. I check all our bank accounts daily.

I also get calls purporting to come from BT saying they are going to close down our service, another lie.

I keep blocking the calls, but then they use a similar but different number.
It, sometimes, helps to do a Google type search on the telephone number of the caller.
There are sites willing to grade the numbers into "likely scams" and possible "proper callers".
You give them nothing but the incoming number (that you searched on) and they will add that number to the "likely scammer" box, if you see what I mean!

Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top