Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2014, 09:26 PM

Re: U3a

Well, I'm getting stir crazy in the flat, just doing the occasional gardening, or going out spending money on stupid things, so thought I'd do something about it!

I don't have a wide circle of friends, and those I do have live far away, or have lives/families of their own. I'm the odd one out!!!

I'm going to give it a fair trial. If it is cliquey, and that can happen when the same people go all the time, I'll find a way round it. Some how.

Even my Mum had a better social life than me when she was alive...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Yes - you go for it Jazzi... All U3A's aren't the same.
You'll most likely enjoy it.

Have you also heard of 'Nexus' it's a social network for single people (Friendship - NOT romance) They have social meetings in pubs - short/long walks - meals out - theatre trips - bridge playing -10 pin bowling and many other activities.
There's a branch in most towns. I had a single friend who joined Nexus & never looked back..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Hi Carol, a Google search of Nexus hasn't brought up any results.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Here's a link for U3A in the uk
http://www.u3a.org.uk/

At the top you'll see "Find a U3A" and you can search by postcode or town. The annual membership should only ever be minimal and the cost of attending an event should only be a contribution to cover costs. It's a not for profit organisation and charges should reflect this.
Cliques only form between people who have become friends and I'd suggest you don't give up, but make your own friends and keep your circle open for others to join.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Hi Carol, a Google search of Nexus hasn't brought up any results.
I'm so sorry Jazzi - it looks as though Nexus is no more..
The friend I refer to joined it 5 yrs ago but we later lost touch when they moved to a different area..

It was great for single people & I told quite a few about it. I don't know what's happened - maybe people begrudged paying a subscription?
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2014, 09:30 AM

I've just contacted my local U3A group to see if there are any vacancies - last time I tried they had a waiting list. When I was a member of another U3A group, it was ten years ago and I was in my sixties - they all seemed to be so old and unable to do much physically. But now age has finally caught up with me, maybe things will look different!
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2014, 04:53 PM

I'm not only a member, I'm a group leader for Pilates! Hubby and I originally joined a ballroom dancing group, and since then between us we've done Italian for beginners, yoga, sequence dancing, play reading, Shakespeare and cake (!) and gardening.

We have a very active U3A group, and as you can probably see, we love it!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

15-07-2014, 07:47 PM

I've spoken to someone from my nearest group. They had a meeting today but as it combines with their Social, was a ticket only affair, so I wasn't able to go. The m/ship secy was a bit brief so I called the Chair and we had a longer chat. If I attend the August meeting I could join from 1/9 and pay for half a year.

The other group I could join now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top