Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Re: Today I am planting.....

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I rather suspect they did both; some fresh and some dried to see them thru the Winter.!
You are probably right Eileen. I will definitely put some pictures up (success or otherwise).

Potatoes - I am not sure how tall they grow - maybe keep earthing up to make more tubers. OG?

I am growing Sarpo Mira and my brother (bless him) says they grow quite big. I always listen to my big brother!

btw - he found a 2000 year old Roman coin down his allotment (there was a Roman barracks not far from his house). He still has it - he was always far luckier than me.

I hope one day to unearth a Viking long boat to beat him.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Roman coin? How lucky. I used to collect them in a small way when I was much younger, had a burglary years ago and they were taken along with some jewelry Nothing rare or really expensive but I really loved the sense of history holding them and thinking of where they had been .....

Now a long boat! I'd settle for a horned helmet or an armband hey, think big if you're dreaming.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2010, 05:31 PM

I have potted up my achocha today and given several away to my allotment neighbours. Forgot to cover the cauliflower and sprout plants yesterday and the birds had a field day (I think it is that big fat pigeon that keeps looking at me)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Cauliflower, one of my very favorite veggies ... wish I had room enough to grow some. I didn't know birds bothered it, the cabbage butterfly is a big pest here on cruciferous vegetables.

Speaking of pests, do you have the tomato hornworm in England? Big fat green caterpillars, the larva of one of the hawk moths. Fortunately they're so large they're easily spotted and removed before they eat too much foliage, and aren't as common as they once were. Habitat destruction, I suppose.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Hi DM we do not have it. I had to google-the moth looks lovely but it`s easy to say that if it`s not a pest for me
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

14-06-2010, 04:52 PM

When I was little and stayed at Grandma's in the Summer, I got paid a penny for every hornworm I picked off the tomatoes and dropped in a jar of kerosene ....
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

14-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
When I was little and stayed at Grandma's in the Summer, I got paid a penny for every hornworm I picked off the tomatoes and dropped in a jar of kerosene ....
That has brought the memories back - my old Grandad used to pay us for picking caterpillars off the cabbages. I wish he was here to see my allotment.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2010, 08:06 AM

I remember we had allotments at the end of the garden and I used to climb the fence and pick the caterpillars off for them, they used to give us a cabbage or 2 in return.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2010, 02:29 PM

It`s a wonder I ever took up gardening. There were allotments behind the football field(now a bloody great by-pass) and everytime us kids went to fetch the ball we were told to bu*gar off
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Yes but we were a better class of kids.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top