Join for free
Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:50 PM

Re: 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports made in Poland by French-Dutch co

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Would be nice if that was so Bread, unfortunately, loathe though people may feel about not supporting a British company, this all came about while we were still in the EU. If they wish to travel they have no choice other than to apply for a British passport made by a foreign country in a foreign land. (Sickening I know). The UK would always honour a contract unless reason not to such as criminal etc, so it looks as though they have it for 5 years.

The one consolation is that it will never again be Bergundy to represent the EU, and it will once again show the wording Great Britain on the front, not the EU stars. That has been consigned to the dustbin forever as far as we are concerned.
True ...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Even though the French quote was the cheapest, there was NOTHING in EU rules and regs to stop the Government from awarding DeLaRue the contract because of the security implications involved with printing and publishing the passports. The award to the French company was purely to maximise profits from the sale of passports to us poor mugs imho.
De la Rue prints the euro notes. Should that stop?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
De la Rue prints the euro notes. Should that stop?
Why ???
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
The one consolation is that it will never again be Bergundy to represent the EU, and it will once again show the wording Great Britain on the front, not the EU stars. That has been consigned to the dustbin forever as far as we are concerned.
That will please argentine, and many inhabitants of the malvinas too. Argentine uses the same colour for their passports.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-02-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Why ???
Security?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No, No and No.

We had absolutely no need to tender the Contract.

We choose to do so.

Nothing to do with the EU at all.

Other Countries take a long term view and support their Industries.

We do not, our choice, our decision.

Live with it.
Personally I don’t know enough about the rules and regulations of the EU, all I can do is to go by what I hear or read. On the item linked below (penultimate paragraph) I read the following text, is this or is it not a factor in losing the Contract for new passports?

“Under EU competition rules, large public procurement contracts must be offered to companies across the the bloc.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nco-dutch-firm
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-02-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Personally I don’t know enough about the rules and regulations of the EU, all I can do is to go by what I hear or read. On the item linked below (penultimate paragraph) I read the following text, is this or is it not a factor in losing the Contract for new passports?

“Under EU competition rules, large public procurement contracts must be offered to companies across the the bloc.”

The point is that the contract was not for buying a product (passports), but a service (the printing of documents). The limit on the monetary value requiring public tendering of the contract is much lower than for a product.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The point is that the contract was not for buying a product (passports), but a service (the printing of documents). The limit on the monetary value requiring public tendering of the contract is much lower than for a product.
I see, thanks for the explanation. As I mentioned I don't personally know the rules and regs. of the EU and certainly didn't know about that. So that would make swimfeeder's comment about it being nothing to do with the EU correct then?

All far too complicated for me, just such a shame that a UK company didn't get the contract, jobs depend on contracts like that so it's not good news for that 200-year-old company.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

You are absolutely correct Baz46.

Swimfeeders is wrong........no matter how strident he is in proclaiming otherwise.

All Large Gov't procurement contracts must be put out to tender across the EU..........as I've already said that means a printing company that gets an EU subsidy to set up a new facility in a low wage Eastern European country will always undercut a well established British based company....basic economics.

So EU competitive tendering is NOT a level playing field.

More to the point, however, is that the EU subsidising companies to set up in emerging economies takes jobs out of the UK.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

24-02-2020, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You are absolutely correct Baz46.

Swimfeeders is wrong........no matter how strident he is in proclaiming otherwise.

All Large Gov't procurement contracts must be put out to tender across the EU..........as I've already said that means a printing company that gets an EU subsidy to set up a new facility in a low wage Eastern European country will always undercut a well established British based company....basic economics.

So EU competitive tendering is NOT a level playing field.

More to the point, however, is that the EU subsidising companies to set up in emerging economies takes jobs out of the UK.

Has this single lost contract led to loss of jobs at De la Rue? Is it such a feeble enterprise!
You are either joking or don't know what you're talking about.

Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top