Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Re: Barnier Turns a Blind Eye to EU Destruction of Fish Stocks

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I asked some time ago whether we have the facilities now to do anything about these supertrawlers which are vacuuming up our marine life.

Thinking about it, I'm sure they'd just laugh at our Border Farce vessels, assuming they're not too busy providing a taxi service for even more illegal immigrants.
Our RN ships, mostly frigates and destroyers would be unable to do anything more than actually firing upon the trawlers which, I believe, are larger than our ships. I suppose our ships could try to ram the supertrawlers, but they'd be too small to make a dent and, unlike the ships we used to have like the Leander class, they are flimsy aluminium (I think).

So what could we do?

Well, we could do what the Iranians did to one of our tankers in the Gulf.
We could use armed SBS marines to board them, abseiling from helicopters. No shots fired, unless attacked by the trawler crew.

They would then take control of the supertanker and force them to sail into our nearest deep harbour. The crew would be arrested, taken off and imprisoned pending payment of an appropriate fine for trespassing in our waters and stealing our fish. The trawler itself would also be held until the owners paid for its return.

I'm sure this would only need to be done once, as the illegal fishermen would know exactly what to expect if they tried it on again.

All perfectly legal as well, so no comeback from the inevitable try-it-on lawyers!
I like it JBR, But have our leaders got the spunk to do it??
I would like to think the present team might??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I like it JBR, But have our leaders got the spunk to do it??
I would like to think the present team might??
I'd like to think so.

This would not be a major operation and, after all, if the Iranian tin-pot army could do it, I'm sure our professional forces could.

We would not be breaking any laws. In fact, the trespassing trawlers would be the ones breaking an international law.
I'm sure that no nation other than the EU would condemn us.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 10:53 AM

I'd like to think so.

This would not be a major operation and, after all, if the Iranian tin-pot army could do it, I'm sure our professional forces could.

We would not be breaking any laws. In fact, the trespassing trawlers would be the ones breaking an international law.
I'm sure that no nation other than the EU would condemn us.
Yes l think you have got a really good idea there JBR !!
As you say no laws broken so no lawyers involved!
As a further refinement the helicopters used should be painted
with coastgaurd colours and armed with a50mm cannon, then
any boats intercepted are compelled to obey any instructions
given to them! And all backed by INTERNATIONAL LAW !!
theres that phrase again!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Hi

These are not trawlers dragging the seabed, they are catching Pelagic Fish, herring, which we do not eat much of.

They are not our stocks under the deal Boris signed until the 1st January next year, only a short time away.

Then they are ours.

We will be exporting them then as there is no home market for most of them, but we will be charging for it until such time as we have the ships and processing facilities to do it our self.

We are due a version of the decades old Cod Wars, which we must win.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Yes Swimmy, unfortunately, everyone knows that our hands are tied until the end of the year. That is what makes people so angry about those EU factory ships acting illegally.
As for the idea of military boarding boats that poach our fish? a very good idea. Several doses of arrest, confiscation and eye-watering fines will ensure the EU get the message that we will not put up with piracy in our waters.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes l think you have got a really good idea there JBR !!
As you say no laws broken so no lawyers involved!
As a further refinement the helicopters used should be painted
with coastgaurd colours and armed with a50mm cannon, then
any boats intercepted are compelled to obey any instructions
given to them! And all backed by INTERNATIONAL LAW !!
theres that phrase again!
I don't think there's a need for the helicopter(s) to be armed, but painted in Coastguard colours would help.

The assailing SBS marines, however, should be if they are to take control of the vessel(s).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Yes Swimmy, unfortunately, everyone knows that our hands are tied until the end of the year. That is what makes people so angry about those EU factory ships acting illegally.
As for the idea of military boarding boats that poach our fish? a very good idea. Several doses of arrest, confiscation and eye-watering fines will ensure the EU get the message that we will not put up with piracy in our waters.
Hi

Unfortunately they are not acting illegally at the moment.

Times have moved on, we have no need to board them and put our personnel at risk.

Electronic Warfare is here and we have the technology to simply burn out all their electronics rendering them unable to fish.

We have the capability to do that all over the English Channel and the North Sea without affecting legitimate ferries and cargo vessels.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-09-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Times have moved on, we have no need to board them and put our personnel at risk.

Electronic Warfare is here and we have the technology to simply burn out all their electronics rendering them unable to fish.

We have the capability to do that all over the English Channel and the North Sea without affecting legitimate ferries and cargo vessels.
Perhaps not in one respect, but as they are fishing in protected areas, which have been agreed to be so internationally, perhaps they are.

As for burning out their electronics without affecting other vessels, that sounds a bit like science fiction.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Also unable to navigate? In a busy fairway like the channel that would be dangerous for tankers, let alone for the crew on the fishing ships.
Wouldn't it even pose an act of war on defenseless civilians? I know the british are not much of a law abiding people, but warships attacking fishermen?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-09-2020, 02:07 PM

Perhaps not in one respect, but as they are fishing in protected areas, which have been agreed to be so internationally, perhaps they are.

As for burning out their electronics without affecting other vessels, that sounds a bit like science fiction.

Hi

ECMS was available and used by us since 1987.

At that time it required a huge land based system, now available on helicopters and planes, which can target individual ships, no point in knocking out your own.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top