Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Re: Electric cars by 2030

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same here Mart, I reckon I will be able to run a diesel for as long as I need to. Not much to look forward to for the younger generation though.

They will adapt quicker than our generation though Foxy, and the youngest will grow up not knowing any different.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thankyou.
So in other words, EV = electric vehicle
and HV = high voltage.

Seems to me that what they keep saying we will save in petrol, will just transfer to our electric bills instead then!

And like I asked earlier, can any electrician install these charging points I wonder, or will it be your electricity suppliers even?

Can all this mammoth demand for more and more electricty be met?
I don't how it will pan out. Currently the cost for domestic energy would favour the EV. But then vehicle fuel tax is a huge chunk for petrol and Diesel. I think significantly more than the EV. Is it fair? Dunno..........
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:48 PM

They will adapt quicker than our generation though Foxy, and the youngest will grow up not knowing any different.
That's true to a point Mups, but it will take a long time for all the twenty year old plus drivers who have driven petrol and diesels to eventually disappear.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 02:37 PM

They are just catering for the younger generation IMO, and those with jobs that pay well.
Us old fogeys on penions won't be able to afford these things so easily.

Just another thing I've thought of - what would it cost to have a charging point put in at home, and can any electrician to it?
Where's that Judd gone when we need him?
I think I read somewhere that you can get a Government grant for £350 which is about half the cost. I'm not sure if that includes the cost of redecorating when your house is pulled to bits running the cables from the back of the house whether under the floorboards or hanging from the ceiling and painted white to blend in.

Then there's the 300yrd extension cable if like me, your car is in a car park.

Of course, it won't really matter to us lot when the Ricin hidden in the covid vaccine wipes us out to make way for the wokey cokeys.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think I read somewhere that you can get a Government grant for £350 which is about half the cost. I'm not sure if that includes the cost of redecorating when your house is pulled to bits running the cables from the back of the house whether under the floorboards or hanging from the ceiling and painted white to blend in.

Then there's the 300yrd extension cable if like me, your car is in a car park.

Of course, it won't really matter to us lot when the Ricin hidden in the covid vaccine wipes us out to make way for the wokey cokeys.

You're a cheerful chappie today, Dongle.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 02:43 PM

That's true. It's like how they used to use steam vehicles (although I'm sure you remember those).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-11-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true. It's like how they used to use steam vehicles (although I'm sure you remember those).

Cheeky blighter.

I do remember trolley buses though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 04:09 PM

They are just catering for the younger generation IMO, and those with jobs that pay well.
Us old fogeys on penions won't be able to afford these things so easily.

Just another thing I've thought of - what would it cost to have a charging point put in at home, and can any electrician to it?
Where's that Judd gone when we need him?
I is here.

There are courses for electricians to go on how to install EV charging points in homes - these homes typically have private drives and garages to install the equipment. If you have to park on the road, you're knackered. (Sparky's technical term).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I is here.

There are courses for electricians to go on how to install EV charging points in homes - these homes typically have private drives and garages to install the equipment. If you have to park on the road, you're knackered. (Sparky's technical term).

Thanks Judsy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-11-2020, 04:28 PM

You're a cheerful chappie today, Dongle.

I really do feel that we are being 'wiped out' Mups but i suppose that's another thread.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top