Join for free
Page 34 of 56 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Re: Breaking - Joe Biden wins US presidential election

President fails to persuade Michigan lawmakers to switch votes

https://www.ft.com/content/f0171c81-...9-03508c4995ff

The top two Republicans in Michigan’s state legislature met Trump at the White House but emerged to pour cold water on the notion that they would try to intervene and undo the more than 150,000 vote margin by which Mr Biden won the state.

“We have not yet been made aware of any information that would change the outcome of the election in Michigan and as legislative leaders, we will follow the law and follow the normal process regarding Michigan’s electors,” said Mike Shirkey and Lee Chatfield, the Michigan Senate leader and House speaker respectively. The candidates who win the most votes win elections and Michigan’s electoral votes,” their statement added.

The meeting at the White House came after a Trump campaign adviser had talked up the idea that the battleground state’s lawmakers could unilaterally declare Mr Trump the winner if the votes were not certified.
Good for Republicans ..... Bad for Trump .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 02:39 PM

And still neither the GSA nor the collegiate have declared an official winner!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
And still neither the GSA nor the collegiate have declared an official winner!
That is not scheduled for another few weeks yet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Bakerman please tell me this will be over soon. I thought the legal process had a deadline of sorts. It's not easy to find any kind of accurate update in the UK press or media.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 02:12 AM

Is this now going to become the "norm" for every presidential election from now on?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bakerman please tell me this will be over soon. I thought the legal process had a deadline of sorts. It's not easy to find any kind of accurate update in the UK press or media.

I wish I could tell you it will be over soon. Unfortunately, we are experiencing something which has never happened before.
Al Gore, in 2000, did not concede for 32 days until the Florida ballots were minutely examined in great detail. However, neither Gore nor George Bush was president. That contest was not settled until The U.S. Supreme Court made a ruling.
There are numerous deadlines: county deadlines, state deadlines and, of course the final electoral college deadline in December.
However, Trump is currently attempting to subvert the process by pressuring individual electoral college persons to "go rouge" and ignore the will of the people and vote how Trump wants. Quite frankly, I am a tad frightened. Not because Trump may finally get his way, but rather because of the tremendous damage Trump is doing to American democracy. We now have an American Mussolini and there is no telling what he may do.

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Is this now going to become the "norm" for every presidential election from now on?
No, I seriously doubt it. The U.S. has never experienced a president that cared more for his own personal power than the greater good of the nation. Terra incognita.
There is serious discussion among Constitutional scholars about what COULD happen if Trump flatly refuses to leave the White House. Spooky. I kid you not.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I wish I could tell you it will be over soon. Unfortunately, we are experiencing something which has never happened before.
Al Gore, in 2000, did not concede for 32 days until the Florida ballots were minutely examined in great detail. However, neither Gore nor George Bush was president. That contest was not settled until The U.S. Supreme Court made a ruling.
There are numerous deadlines: county deadlines, state deadlines and, of course the final electoral college deadline in December.
However, Trump is currently attempting to subvert the process by pressuring individual electoral college persons to "go rouge" and ignore the will of the people and vote how Trump wants. Quite frankly, I am a tad frightened. Not because Trump may finally get his way, but rather because of the tremendous damage Trump is doing to American democracy. We now have an American Mussolini and there is no telling what he may do.

No, I seriously doubt it. The U.S. has never experienced a president that cared more for his own personal power than the greater good of the nation. Terra incognita.
There is serious discussion among Constitutional scholars about what COULD happen if Trump flatly refuses to leave the White House. Spooky. I kid you not.

Not until the truth comes out he won't.
bakerman
Mexico

22-11-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Not until the truth comes out he won't.
(DEEP SIGH) If you honestly believe such nonsense then you also might be interested in buying some genuine alien artifacts that I have. Just send me a bank draft and they can belong to YOU.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Trump faces pressure from Republicans to drop 'corrosive' fight to overturn election

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rturn-election

Former Trump national security adviser John Bolton said that Biden would be sworn in in January and added: “The real question is how much damage Trump can do before that happens.”

Bolton noted that the Trump campaign has so far lost all but two of more than 30 legal challenges in various states.

“Right now Trump is throwing rocks through windows, he is the political equivalent of a street rioter,” Bolton said.
And another former Trump administration national security adviser, HR McMaster, told CBS’s Face the Nation that Trump’s efforts were “very corrosive” and warned that his actions were sowing doubt among the electorate.

The Maryland governor, Larry Hogan, another Republican, said he also was confident Biden would be sworn in on schedule on 20 January and said “I’m embarrassed” at the lack of party leadership speaking out to recognize the election result.

The US used to supervise elections around the world but was now “beginning to look like we’re in a banana republic,” Hogan told CNN’s State of the Union politics show.
Indeed ..... that's how bad it looks from the outside ......
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
(DEEP SIGH) If you honestly believe such nonsense then you also might be interested in buying some genuine alien artifacts that I have. Just send me a bank draft and they can belong to YOU.

Careful you don't out crazy yourself.

Page 34 of 56 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top