Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 03:22 PM

BY contract.

I have a 24 month contract with BT. It runs out in February next year. At present paying £31 a month for unlimited broadband. I pay only that as I cannot afford to make calls on the landline at 12p a minute but instead have a mobile that costs only 1p a minute.

For the last six weeks the broadband has been terrible, losing service, running so slow it's impossible to stream anything. My son was here about three weeks ago and with his app checked the speed which was well below what I should have been getting. Coincidently I have been receiving letters and emails and now for the last week phone calls offering me BTs new faster broadband for an extra £5 per month if I sign up now.
These calls suddenly stopped and instead I have had an email saying my bill will increase in September to £33.50 and in February 2019 when my contract ends to £45.49.

It does say on the email that if I ended my contract before the minimum term I will not have to pay the early termination charges. Do you think this means as they hiking up the price that I have the option of not having to pay any further payments and can leave?

Does anyone know of a cheaper reliable broadband service other than BT. But not Talk Talk (spit, curse, spit, mumble)
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 03:42 PM

Re: BY contract.

Apologies for my predictive text it should be BT but it won't let me change it
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 03:42 PM

Ive used the price increase tp get out of BT just last week

I was paying £52 a month

Ive gone to Plusnet who win awards for the CS and I will be paying £24 for 18 months, which will rise to £32 at the end of that term
Mondays child
United Kingdom

16-07-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Ive used the price increase tp get out of BT just last week

I was paying £52 a month

Ive gone to Plusnet who win awards for the CS and I will be paying £24 for 18 months, which will rise to £32 at the end of that term
Brilliant. So that means you can cancel the contract as they are putting the price up. My contract doesnt end for another 7 months but has run for 17 months. I was worried I would have to pay still for those 7 months
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Cos they are putting the price up yes you can cancel without penalty

I had a year to go on mine

I also had another 4 months on a mobile contract and because that hadn’t had a price increase I was going to be charged to cancel that so I kept it till it runs out

I used to use talk talk and didn’t have much bother with them. However they couldn’t give me the fast broadband. If they service your area and you are computer savvy enough to reboot routers and general trouble shoot, they are the cheapest and as I say I never had a bother with them with only two down days in three years But they are impossible if you do have problems not of your making
Mondays child
United Kingdom

16-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Missy you have absolutely made my day. I am going through all my expenses and trying to cut back. If I can dump BT that would be brilliant.

Ive already got rid of the TV and licence.

I'm going to do a menu for 14 days and a set shopping list to save money hopefully.

The hardest one to save money on is going to be my little car.
Mel15
Nowhere

16-07-2018, 04:56 PM

MC, I’m a wizz at cutting the food budget

I’ll send you a pm if that’s ok?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 12:07 AM

PlusNet have a lot of bad rep but then so do all providers. It was so bad that someone set up a website called something like "MinusNet" where there were lots of testimonies from people who had experienced poor service.

Just Google "PlusNet poor customer service" and pages and pages of stuff will come back.

PlusNet is part of BT (since 2007) but operates as a separate entity but ultimately you're always going to be piggy backing off BT infrastructure.

It's the illusion of choice, like washing powders which really all cone from the same fat cat manufacturing group.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 12:51 AM

I moved from BT to Plusnet a few years ago.
It was much cheaper, the switch was simple and I've never had any problems with it.
I have no idea what their Customer Service is like, because I've never needed to contact them about anything.

Every year, I get an email with an option of paying for the phone line monthly or for 12 months in advance. It's much cheaper to pay the 12 months in advance - last year it was £197.88 for 12 months (£16.49 per month) plus £5.99 per month for Broadband. Evening & Weekend Calls are free on landline.

They sometimes send me offers to add mobile phone services but I don't bother with that. I stick to a simple Pay as You Go mobile because I make nearly all my social calls from my landline for free.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 08:08 AM

I'm with Talk Talk from memory it's £23 per month that includes telephone and line rental. I use the land line less and less these days for phone calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top