Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 02:16 PM

New Prairie Flapper Pie

NEW PRAIRIE FLAPPER PIE

Preheat your oven to 350F / 180C / 160 Fan / Gas Mark 4.

FOR THE CRUST.
1.¼ cups (125g) of Rich tea or Digestive Biscuits (crushed)
¼ cup (57g or 4 tablespoons) of melted Butter
½ cup (104 grams) of Sugar
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)

FOR THE FILLING
2.½ cups (591ml) of Milk
½ cup (104g) sugar
¼ cup (30g) cornflour
3 egg yolks - beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt

MERINGUE TOPPING
3 egg whites
¼ cup (52g) sugar
2 teaspoons of Lemon juice.

STEP ONE
Mix the crushed biscuits with the sugar, add the melted butter and cinnamon if using it and combine. Leave about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to one side for later. Press the rest into the base and up the sides of a 10 inch pie plate. Pop this into the fridge for now.

STEP TWO
Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a saucepan and cook on a medium heat until it boils and thickens as a custard, ensuring you stir it all the time. Set it aside to cool while you make the meringue.

STEP THREE
Whisk the meringue ingredients together until they form stiff peaks.

STEP FOUR
Pour the filling into the biscuit crust then top with the meringue, making lovely little spikes that will brown up on the top. Sprinkle the remaining two tablespoons of biscuit crumb that you set aside and slide the dish into a 350 degree oven. Bake for about 10-12 minutes to brown as the pictures look below, but watch it carefully as all ovens are different.
(the words of the recipe).

Cool in the fridge and if possible, eat the same day. This is definitely one to be made hours before serving. The recipe also says that you will never have a photogenic slice as this is custard and meringue, but the taste is divine so it makes up for it.

Enjoy if you make it.

++++++++++++++++++

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	flapper pie 1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	12185   Click image for larger version

Name:	flapper pie 2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	12186  
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Re: New Prairie Flapper Pie

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
NEW PRAIRIE FLAPPER PIE

Sent it to my wife - hope you don't mind.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 09:44 AM

Re: New Prairie Flapper Pie

Good morning, not at all Mr B. Hope she can tell me how it comes out if she makes it. She will probably be making it before me as I have no eggs at the moment as a shortage for a few days here (and I'm in the heart of the country!!)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top