Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Exam Results

Algorithms, you either trust them or you don't, stop complaining Imo.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 07:47 AM

Re: Exam Results

Not sure. I don't think any system can be fair to all. I used to panic in exams and my brain would go blank. I didn't pass some of my best subjects and only got two O'levels. I hated school and disliked some teachers who I'm sure wouldn't have helped me if they'd had any input in exam result predicted grades.
It didn't matter on the job front as I got an apprenticeship with Boots (not my chosen career path)

All my kids did well in exams, so they didn't have the same problem.

It's a problem, the whole system needs looking at properly, not just in a pandemic.
Some kids are good at coursework, others at exams.

I think, probably, grades over the past two years, after they've made subject choices may be fairest at the moment.

I've just heard on tv that these algorithms are judging kids by performance of colleges etc, not students. So if they should get higher grades than previous students at that college, because the college had no grades that high before they would be marked down! Crazy!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Hi

Yet another example of our failings.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Of course some will blame the kids!
How anyone can support this pile of buffoons calling themselves Ministers of Her Mage's government is beyond deluded.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 10:42 AM

The only problem I can see was going public, especially the BBC and other media goading the kids to 'Have a go' causing trouble again by biased reporting and interfering enough to make it exciting and newsworthy......They just love picking at scabs.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Of course some will blame the kids!
How anyone can support this pile of buffoons calling themselves Ministers of Her Mage's government is beyond deluded.
Very good!

But what would be the alternative? Did you see the formula used? It looked perfectly good to me with the only slight uncertainty being the introduction of an element of subjective component which attempted to add the principle of added value rather than cold clean ability at the end of the instruction of each subject.

So what alternative method of assessment could be used? Certainly not just rely on teachers report in isolation.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Very good!

But what would be the alternative? Did you see the formula used? It looked perfectly good to me with the only slight uncertainty being the introduction of an element of subjective component which attempted to add the principle of added value rather than cold clean ability at the end of the instruction of each subject.

So what alternative method of assessment could be used? Certainly not just rely on teachers report in isolation.
Was that last sentence intended Todgy??

!Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 02:13 PM

My guess is that there are quite a few students who's results are better than they would have been normally. I don't think we shall be hearing from them though.

There was a black student on BBC this morning (obviously) saying she would have done better....... er, how does she know that?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My guess is that there are quite a few students who's results are better than they would have been normally. I don't think we shall be hearing from them though.

There was a black student on BBC this morning (obviously) saying she would have done better....... er, how does she know that?
Because she's black.

They just KNOW that they're better than the indigenous Caucasian population or they wouldn't be treated as equals.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Presumably because most students do far better in the actual exam than mock exams and previous assessments tend to indicate. Have seen students jump significantly over the years over the final couple of months.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top