Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 11:55 AM

My hospital stay.

Last monday I was admitted to hospital as a day case for removal of the lipoma on my throat. A lipoma is a harmless fatty growth that just slowly grows. I thought mine had grown enough so I opted to have it removed.

I absolutely hated it in hospital and am wondering if I have any cause to complain or should I just let it go.

1st problem was a nurse who kept repeatedly telling me off for not wearing a proper surgical mask. I explained I was allergic to them but she wouldn't accept my explanation. She just kept on & on about it & got the other nurses involved. In the end after much discussion I was allowed to keep my full face visor. After that this nurse didn't speak to me. I would say her attitude could be called bullying..

2nd problem.

I had to stay in overnight as there was a problem & I had to have a drain inserted.
Next morning they did my 'obbs' & decided I needed oxygen. I felt perfectly alright but they gave it to me anyway. After about half an hour on oxygen I began to feel awful - faint & light headed. I felt I was going to pass out. I pressed the buzzer & they all rushed over to me - took the oxygen off me & left me to rest. I recovered after half an hour but it was a horrible experience & I believe they gave me an overdose of oxygen or left me on it too long.

Apart from the ward being stark & uncomfortable & hardly being given any food these are my main complaints.

Is it worth complaining?

Before the operation.

Protection on the ward.

Home again after 30 hours of hell.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:02 PM

Re: My hospital stay.

Oh dear Carol, you'd think with how stressful things are that staff would try to make your stay more comfortable.

I've found both my GP surgery and dentist have been very supportive and understanding.

I would think about complaining if I was you. They made things worse for you than they should have been in normal times let alone now!

I hope you have a speedy recovery x
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Sorry you had to have that lipoma on your throat removed,Carol.

To be honest,...I try not to complain because we are blessed to have our health,I walk everywhere,carry heavy shopping home,but always thank God for my health and strength.

Not saying you aren’t entitled to complain Carol..just looking at it from my point of view.....

We have so much to be thankful for...that’s my take on it.

There are many who aren’t as fortunate as we are...we have our health....many don’t.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Glad you're back home Carol and sorry you had such a rough time. You should get the wound seen to. Seems you were being cared for by inexperienced staff.

At which hospital did you have the op?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:13 PM

It sounds like you are quite within your rights to complain. Being in hospital is a stressful enough without making the experience worse. That nurse sounds unprofessional and uncaring. You should follow your instincts and if you think you weren't treated correctly then you are probably right.

I'm so sorry you had an unpleasant stay in hospital but glad you sre back posting here. Take care and stay safe love xxx
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

There are many who aren’t as fortunate as we are...we have our health....many don’t.
You may have your health Pauline but mine isn't so good.
I suffer from a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica. My immune system has attacked itself. I couldn't function without daily steroids and am often bed bound when I have a flare up. The pain of PMR is unbearable..

I see where you're coming from though.

My op was at Kings Mill Notts.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Carol, but glad that you're back home .....

My own recent experiences of hospitals (and doctors) have not always been satisfactory - sadly, it seems the way things are going with overwhelming demands on an NHS that is underfunded, understaffed and badly managed ....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I suffer from a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica. My immune system has attacked itself. I couldn't function without daily steroids and am often bed bound when I have a flare up. The pain of PMR is unbearable..

Never knew that,my mother had polymyalgia Rheumatica,she was also on steroids...had good days and bad days.
I also had ME and was bedridden for 3 yrs,so can relate to your condition...I still have to pace myself though.

My friend also has what you have,like you it hasn’t gone,but apparently it can go as quick as it came?

Life can certainly be a bitch...hope you are feeling better soon,Carol....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

They had a good CQC report in the inpatient survey back in July :

https://www.cqc.org.uk/provider/RK5/survey/3

So you should definitely report it as it seems to be a very good hospital so they should appreciate the feedback.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Wish you well Carol. A long enough stay but good to get home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top