Join for free
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 12:52 PM

MSG in food

Some food companies blatantly avoid revealing a full breakdown of their ingredients by using what is known as 'clean labelling'. Yeast extract may sound benign to the layman, but typically it has a high concentrate of monosodium glutamate (MSG). I am allergic to MSG in that it will at anything other than a very low dose, induce my heart arrhythmia Atrial Fibrillation. I only found out this yesterday when I had an appointment with a new locum who had joined my GP's practice. I now know why a recent bag of Marmite flavoured crisps (bought to try) had me in AF within 3/4hr of eating the bag. I am very careful and read ALL food labelling, but with devious manufacturers around, I do think the laws need extensively tightening up.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Re: MSG in food

Longdriver, l am also allergic to MSG in food. After eating it, it’s like l have been poisoned as l felt so ill and had a blinding migraine type headache.
I didn’t realise it was MSG causing it, for quite a while.

When l was married, we used to have a Chinese take-away every Wednesday evening.
I noticed on a Thursday, l would always have the most blinding headache. I used to put it down to the sulphites in the wine that we had with the meal. Then l noticed, even when l didn’t have wine, l still got the awful headache.
Then, l read about the cheap additive MSG being added to food, especially fast food, to make it taste better.

Since then l have avoided anything that contains it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top