Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 07:59 PM

Private Health Operations - A Different Approach?

Some time ago, whilst visiting a West London Hospital where my Wife was having an operation , the Surgeon came out for a chat whilst my other half was being finished up.

I thanked him for what he had done but, I told him that, sadly,paying for a Private Health Service was not going to be practical because of the cost and out ages, etc.

His reply was interesting. I pass it on for comment.

He said that we Brits are well used to set up a builder to build us a new house, or a travel Company, to set up a holiday, etc.

But what we rarely do, is set up our medical operations in a similar way.

He advised that anyone being told by their Doctor that they needed an operation, Cataracts, etc, whatever, should consider getting the Doctor to recommend a good Surgeon.

Then, they should go and see that Surgeon and talk about how, when and where, and, importantly, what the best price would be.

So, after a bit of price pushing and shoving, you get to agree a price and a date.

This Surgeon said that that would quite often be much less than you pay to a Private Health Insurance company, in monthly payments.

He. also. pointed out that interest free loans are not unusual.

All in all - a lot of money saved.

OK. Has anyone Managed an op this way?

If so, how did it go?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:56 PM

Re: Private Health Operations - A Different Approach?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Some time ago, whilst visiting a West London Hospital where my Wife was having an operation , the Surgeon came out for a chat whilst my other half was being finished up.

I thanked him for what he had done but, I told him that, sadly,paying for a Private Health Service was not going to be practical because of the cost and out ages, etc.

His reply was interesting. I pass it on for comment.

He said that we Brits are well used to set up a builder to build us a new house, or a travel Company, to set up a holiday, etc.

But what we rarely do, is set up our medical operations in a similar way.

He advised that anyone being told by their Doctor that they needed an operation, Cataracts, etc, whatever, should consider getting the Doctor to recommend a good Surgeon.

Then, they should go and see that Surgeon and talk about how, when and where, and, importantly, what the best price would be.

So, after a bit of price pushing and shoving, you get to agree a price and a date.

This Surgeon said that that would quite often be much less than you pay to a Private Health Insurance company, in monthly payments.

He. also. pointed out that interest free loans are not unusual.

All in all - a lot of money saved.

OK. Has anyone Managed an op this way?

If so, how did it go?
Yes Ted, l had both eyes decateracted whilst in south africa and
had no health insurance.
So l asked the surgeon what his best price would be, which he duly
did,
out of interest l asked what it would cost if l had insurance and he
quoted a price about double what he had just quoted for me??
So it seems the insurance companies are responsible for the high
cost of healthcare by not bothering to haggle with the doctors?
Instead the haggling is done on a group basis by the insurance
regulating bodies and the doctor regulators with the result that
the premiums go up automatically every year regardless of whether
this rise is justified or not?? Hence individuals and small companies
can no longer afford to pay for them, only government and large
corperations now run heallth schemes anymore !!
I suppose it is much the same here except for our NHS being
available to us.

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Re: Private Health Operations - A Different Approach?

Good point Donkeyman.

Insurance Companies, in the shape of money grabbers, seem to come up in everything!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top