Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 05:50 AM

Diabetic foot pain

I have diabetes which has caused nerve damage on the bottoms of my feet. With enough rest, and almost no walking, the pain is manageable, but when I walk for several city blocks the pain becomes intense.
I can, of course, take heavy duty pain meds , like an opioid, but that leads to an addiction. I sure don't need that on top of all the other health problems I have.

acetaminophen does absolutely nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to relieve this pain ????
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:26 AM

Re: Diabetic foot pain

Have you tried gel pads in your shoes, Bakerman? I have heard they can help.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have you tried gel pads in your shoes, Bakerman? I have heard they can help.
No I have not yet tried them. Good idea.
Something I don't understand. Most mornings upon waking the bottoms of my feet hurt much more than they did when I went to sleep. strange
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Hi Bakerman, exercise should help your problem keep moving and help your blood to circulate. There are exercises you can do sitting and laying down as well as walking.
There are lots of exercise videos on YouTube for older people.

My Father was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 21 years old and not expected to live long. It was 1928 and insulin was still in its infancy here.
Dad lived till he was 89, worked till he was 75 and was still doing voluntary work managing and raising funds for the local brass band when he died.

Like many diabetics he had a degree of circulation problems, peripheral neuropathy and ulcers but he ate healthily stayed slim and got plenty of exercise all of which helped to keep his condition manageable and increased his life expectancy.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 03:59 PM

No sorry Bakerman, you will have to put up with it, i've had to for 37 years, the only thing I do, is exercise my feet, from side to side.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
No I have not yet tried them. Good idea.
Something I don't understand. Most mornings upon waking the bottoms of my feet hurt much more than they did when I went to sleep. strange

That is fairly normal for diabetics Bakerman. As Meg said exercising your feet, before you get out of bed, really helps get your circulation going & much reduces the pain when you do get up and walk.
Apparently your blood pressure reduces whilst you are sleeping & moving your feet from the ankles helps get your blood to the soft tissue, in your feet. If i feel pain in my feet, when I try to stand up in the morning, I get back into bed & do the foot exercises. It really helps!
bakerman
Mexico

17-11-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
[/B]

That is fairly normal for diabetics Bakerman. As Meg said exercising your feet, before you get out of bed, really helps get your circulation going & much reduces the pain when you do get up and walk.
Apparently your blood pressure reduces whilst you are sleeping & moving your feet from the ankles helps get your blood to the soft tissue, in your feet. If i feel pain in my feet, when I try to stand up in the morning, I get back into bed & do the foot exercises. It really helps!

One heck of a good idea. I never would have thought about that. Thanks Meg and Twink.
Robert60
New Member!
Tennessee USA
Robert60 is male 

18-11-2020, 03:47 AM

I use this for Diabetic foot pain Gabapentin 100 mgs.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 05:44 PM

I have an electronic leg/foot stimulator and find it does work for what was otherwise a slack circulation in my legs and feet. I know we must not advertise, but the one I own is now advertised on UK TV by Ian Botham so put that info in your search engine as see if it comes up.
bakerman
Mexico

18-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I have an electronic leg/foot stimulator and find it does work for what was otherwise a slack circulation in my legs and feet. I know we must not advertise, but the one I own is now advertised on UK TV by Ian Botham so put that info in your search engine as see if it comes up.

I just did a quick search on line, and there are many foot and leg stimulators for sale. thank you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top