Join for free
Page 284 of 370 « First < 184 234 274 282 283 284 285 286 294 334 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Good morning! Here I sit in my worn running shoes ready to blast my way (that of course being a relative description) through the morning fog that has blanketed the beach, east and west. I like this kind of run because it kicks in the imaginative side of my brain (another relative phrase ) to give the run a different feeling altogether. Though my body is feeling sluggish, my mind and feet are ready to go. I wonder if there will be six in me today? We shall see...

OGF, you understand what a huge deal it is to have worn out shoes. This isn't a looks thing - it's all about corrected pronation, over-pronation, and protecting knees an joints. That said, those bright blue shoes must make you look pretty sharp out there! I know I am preaching to the choir but if anyone is thinking about taking up long-distance walking or even a little jogging. The investment in good shoes is worth cost 1,000 over.

Alrighty, good people, the shores of the Gulf of Mexico await. If you see what appears to be a small beached whale on some beach cam, it's merely me having collapsed from inability .
That was exactly the same conditions that greeted me this morning Surfermom....
After a bit of a wobbly start I started to settle down about halfway round and finished with a flourish.
Ha ha yes Surfermom, a bit of a 'Bobby Dazzler' in those bright blue shoes, and after half a dozen runs in my old ones I strutted my stuff in them this morning....

Give it your best shot this morning .......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Floydy, you need to get Mrs. Floydy right on that back problem after a hot bath has loosened up your muscles some . Your running plans sound just right. If you make them a treat by trying different spots and not going distances that make you miserable, you will probably find yourself addicted in a few months. You do weights, have added cardio, is your neck telling you that flexibility training is next?

Alrighty, good people, the shores of the Gulf of Mexico await. If you see what appears to be a small beached whale on some beach cam, it's merely me having collapsed from inability .
Good luck with the run, Suzie, I reckon if I had beautiful shores and views to run alongside of I'd be out there like a shot.
Yes, it looks like a short 'park run' this coming weekend for now and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm not built particularly too well for running as my legs as very heavily-muscled, but if rugby players can do it, there's no reason why I can't give it a bash!
Also, my neck and lower back have eased greatly today and I'm back rockin' and rollin' once more...

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
After a bit of a wobbly start I started to settle down about halfway round and finished with a flourish.
Good man. Always great to see you hitting those tried and tested tracks, Bob. Keep on running bud!

Tachyon - how's the inner thighs today mate? bet they scream a little!

- - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday 30/4/19: Legs.
1hr.20mins.

My workout today shouldn’t have been anywhere near the mother of all gym sessions like it turned out to be; During my night shift I suddenly became enormously tired about 4.30am and hit the wall. That’s what tedious work does to you! In the even, I was in bed by 6.45am but up five hours later feeling fresh as a daisy (whatever that means). The only thing for it was to get showered and my bag sorted and get myself to the gym before I had second thoughts. Commencing a legs workout at 12.40pm, it ended up one of the best I’ve done in a very long time.

Sticking with a combined formulae of strength training over five increasing sets, halfway reversing the weight to ‘ease’ back down again to a 25-rep high rep finish on each exercise, I amalgamated some bodybuilding-style tension-pause to fully pump out the quads and calves, pausing at the hardest point of the set and squeezing out several more reps.
Despite sweating like an old wild boar and fighting for my breath, I submitted the obligatory stretches throughout and performed each set with minimal rest, keeping the legs fully charged. What an enjoyable afternoon! Gotta make the most of it because my legs will be dead later on at work.
Such is life as a fitness guru – you take the rough with the smooth and deal with it!

(All weights in kgs)

Incline press:
Feet low on plate -
20x150, 15x200
10x250 +3, 5x300 +2

Feet high on plate –

8x250 +3, 10x200 +4, 13x150 +5
25x100

Seated ham curl:
20x40, 15x50
12x60 +3, 14x50 +5
25x35

Sled press (alternating feet positions):
20x150, 15x180
10x200 +4, 10x150 +5
25x120

Calf press (toes, using sled):
20x100, 15x120
15x140 +3, 15x110 +7
25x80

Extensions:
20x50, 15x80
10x100 +2, 10x60 +4
25x40

Lying (prone) ham curl:
20x25, 15x32.5
6x40 +1, 12x25 +3
25x20

Incline press extra:
10x150 – pause - 10x150 – pause - 10x150 – pause - 10x150

Adductor:
20x50, 15x55
12x60 +6, 12x50 +3
25x40

Abductor:
20x45, 15x50
12x55 +2, 20x45 +2
25x35

Absolutely loved it! I'll do this all again next week.
Next session will be for the upper body later in the week followed by the run in a park of my choice at the weekend.

Thanks for reading
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Tachyon, another massively-repped workout bud.
I anticipate your top inner thighs will be aching somewhat today after the adductor work though. It always does with me but it's best to train every part of the legs and I think you're getting that covered now

I'll be hitting the higher reps and lower weights starting next month, toning up and keeping the belly blubber down for the forthcoming summer months
Yes, I'm hoping to keep the blubber down as well. I don't want the morbidly obese me back again, and going to the gym makes me feel good which means I am not tempted to snack or comfort eat like I used to do. I weigh a couple of kilos heavier since hitting the gym but my waist has dropped a couple of inches. The 36" waist jeans actually have a bit of slack at the waist now, yay!

Well done on those massive weights you shift, by the way. If I could do half of some of those I'd be a very happy mad.

Tachyon (and i am wondering how you came across your astrophysical username ), you workouts seem to be getting lengthier in the number of machines you are using, and extensive in your reps and weights. The technology seems to be motivating for you, and I am sure it's satisfying to see all that progress, especially after getting knocked back a little with that cough.
The name is from a favourite character of mine in some little known stories by George R. R. Martin, who got some fellow authors to contribute superhero stories to a collaborative series set on an alternate Earth. It's the "Wild Cards" series, and I rate it as at least as good as his "Game of Thrones" books. Very much written for adults, as you'd expect from him. The character's name was Dr. Tachyon. An excellent read, for those inclined to look the books up.

Yes, the technology is fun, I admit, and as I get to test out what I am capable of I expend my repertoire every couple of weeks. The Leg Press and I give each other sideways glances every week and I think I'll be having a go on it this week all being well. The cough really had me worried, and I think everyone on here who had it was a bit worried too. Glad it finally went!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Yes, I'm hoping to keep the blubber down as well. I don't want the morbidly obese me back again, and going to the gym makes me feel good which means I am not tempted to snack or comfort eat like I used to do. I weigh a couple of kilos heavier since hitting the gym but my waist has dropped a couple of inches. The 36" waist jeans actually have a bit of slack at the waist now, yay!

Well done on those massive weights you shift, by the way. If I could do half of some of those I'd be a very happy man.
Thanks Tachyon. You keep sideways-glancing at that leg press too...that will definitely power up your legs
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Ooo, the leg press machine. If one is in the gym, this is probably the best machine. Wouldn't miss it.

That's an interesting story about your username, Tachyon. Tachyons are also theoretical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. There isn't a shred of evidence (so far) that they exist because at the speed of light all the rules of time/space break down.

Floydy, we are all looking forward to your park run. You are in good running shoes, aren't you? Poorly supportive ones can cause back problems. I know that people who lift weights can be prone to losing flexibility and you'll be ahead of your peers fitness-wise if you are breaking away from your routine.

OGF, I can't help but be tickled at the image of a foggy scene with the only visible movement being a pair of bright blue shoes. This is one case in which form has absolutely nothing on function. If I can find a pair that prevents over-pronating and supporting my arches, then I would wear hot pink with orange spots. Bring them on!

It is a glorious day here , with yesterday having been one of been thoroughly satisfying. After a foggy but fruitful five mile run, the beach place is ready to market, broke through a wall that was making the resolution of my father's estate a mountainous challenge, and best of all - took my daughter to the college to enroll in courses for the fall semester. Yay! I am celebrating with an untimed, faraway run this afternoon.

Have a good one and press on!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Ooo, the leg press machine. If one is in the gym, this is probably the best machine. Wouldn't miss it.

Floydy, we are all looking forward to your park run. You are in good running shoes, aren't you? Poorly supportive ones can cause back problems. I know that people who lift weights can be prone to losing flexibility and you'll be ahead of your peers fitness-wise if you are breaking away from your routine.

It is a glorious day here , with yesterday having been one of been thoroughly satisfying. After a foggy but fruitful five mile run, the beach place is ready to market, broke through a wall that was making the resolution of my father's estate a mountainous challenge, and best of all - took my daughter to the college to enroll in courses for the fall semester. Yay! I am celebrating with an untimed, faraway run this afternoon.

Have a good one and press on!
Hi Suzie.
The shoes I wear for my gym work are these Skechers.

They are very comfortable and I had them on when I jogged across the bridge. I think I'll invest in a pair of proper running shoes soon if my running takes off.
I'll be doing about a mile in a local park this weekend sometime.

The leg press I use at the gym is very similar to this one. A great and very effective machine:

Congrats to your daughter for enrolling for the course too! That's some achievement. You'll have to let us know how she's getting along Good luck to her
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:39 PM

I was reluctant to report on this morning's run because it was a run from hell and possibly one of the worst this year. It seems to be another one in a long line of bad runs this year and I'm getting a bit worried. I haven't felt as tired and lethargic as this during a run since the week before my heart attack, back in 2004 and there doesn't seem to be a logical explanation..

There was something unusual when I woke at six this morning, it felt like I could have done with another couple of hours sleep when normally I feel at my best first thing in the mornings after a life of rising early. Even during my first mile the legs were tired and I was breathing heavy while struggling along at a slow pace even by my standards....

I did feel marginally better on the last mile or two but was lucky that I didn't have to resort to a walk. It was a beautiful morning and at just five miles should have been easy peasy but it turned out to be such a struggle.

I'm scheduled for another five tomorrow morning so I'll get some rest and employ my secret weapon (a jam sandwich) before turning in.....It could just be an 'energy bonk' so we'll see.....

Sorry for the negativity when this thread should be used to help motivate other posters with positive vibes, but it can feel quite frightening considering my history and it makes me wonder if the time has arrived when I must hang up the running shoes.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-05-2019, 09:48 PM

I was reluctant to report on this morning's run because it was a run from hell and possibly one of the worst this year. It seems to be another one in a long line of bad runs this year and I'm getting a bit worried. I haven't felt as tired and lethargic as this during a run since the week before my heart attack, back in 2004 and there doesn't seem to be a logical explanation..

There was something unusual when I woke at six this morning, it felt like I could have done with another couple of hours sleep when normally I feel at my best first thing in the mornings after a life of rising early. Even during my first mile the legs were tired and I was breathing heavy while struggling along at a slow pace even by my standards....

I did feel marginally better on the last mile or two but was lucky that I didn't have to resort to a walk. It was a beautiful morning and at just five miles should have been easy peasy but it turned out to be such a struggle.

I'm scheduled for another five tomorrow morning so I'll get some rest and employ my secret weapon (a jam sandwich) before turning in.....It could just be an 'energy bonk' so we'll see.....

Sorry for the negativity when this thread should be used to help motivate other posters with positive vibes, but it can feel quite frightening considering my history and it makes me wonder if the time has arrived when I must hang up the running shoes.
Oh no Bob, please don't be thinking like that mate
It's surely just a blip. Did you have a late night last night? Maybe something in your evening meal didn't agree with you? Perhaps your body is just catching up with rest and simply you weren't ready for a jog today?

We all have off days Bob, and I'm sure you'll be back at it tomorrow or the next day - and don't feel ashamed to report to us on here, we all go through this lethargy. many a time I've got up feeling great only to arrive at the gym and can't be bothered, going home after a lacklustre half an hour. You know the score.

At least you actually attempted your run and that's what counts. "Negativity" just shows us that we invariably make sure we put a greater effort into our training next time we venture out - and you will be no exception believe me
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:02 PM

Bob, please don't brush this aside while you feel you are struggling at times. Don't force yourself to run the next day if you aren't feeling right.

Maybe this is a warning to you, please for your own peace of mind (and ours), get yourself checked over by your GP just to make sure nothing untoward is going on and you're not making things worse.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-05-2019, 10:33 PM

Good extra point there from Mags, Bob. Keep an eye on this mate

Page 284 of 370 « First < 184 234 274 282 283 284 285 286 294 334 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top