Join for free
Page 1 of 1676 1 2 3 11 51 101 501 1001 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

We made a bad mistake there Pug, sure enough we should have stuck with our punts and punted our way out of trouble, now we’re slowly drifting down the Swanee without a paddle.
I made a wise move at the time of the change over, I invested £2,000 in a 20 ounce bar of gold and stuck it in the wife’s safety deposit box in the bank, I see todays gold price is $1,226.60 per ounce, a nice little earner just sitting there, some greedy folks would say I should have invested more, but I’m not greedy and I say be grateful for small mercies.

Oh to have a bar of gold
To comfort me when I grow old
No use having a stash of cash
Euros are useless and go in a flash.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:35 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Pug ->
WHAT???
Are you confessing to being [shudder] of working class,Emjay???
Was old boy was. I don't know what I should be called now?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:18 PM

God bless the workers, where would us pensioners be without them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I made a wise move at the time of the change over, I invested £2,000 in a 20 ounce bar of gold and stuck it in the wife’s safety deposit box in the bank, I see todays gold price is $1,226.60 per ounce, a nice little earner just sitting there, some greedy folks would say I should have invested more, but I’m not greedy and I say be grateful for small mercies.
Get Em' in Jem, I'll be over shortly.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 11:32 PM

So true, it is good to count days with a degree of certainty.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:54 PM

I did much the same when I was TOLD [!!!] that I was suddenly 'European' and that as a consequence,I'd have my taxes raised to pay our annual 'dibs'.
YEAHWELLYOUKNOWEXACTLYWHERETOSTICKTHAT!

[two world wars and one world cup. doo-dah. etc]

So various items of antique silver-pure silver,plus some rare items of Danish gilt silver,found themselves in a sanctuary;there to rest until common sense once more prevails...or until I say "Sod this-I'm too old for this shit".
The result will be the same either way. [those Abaco Isles are looking good]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-02-2016, 04:21 PM

Well Pug after the general election here the politicians are running around like headless chickens trying to figure out who'll be in power now, I love it when they have to do that.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Whatever happened to the Yuppie? some of them would be old men by now, we probably have one or two in the forum. Of all the ‘cults’ that I’ve lived through Yuppism is the least mentioned, why is that? I mean you hear people say my daddy was a Hippy, my grandad was a Rocker or a Mod, even a Teddyboy, Skinhead, Suede head, Punk, but never a Yuppie, is it something to be ashamed of do you think? What does an old Yuppie look like, or are the extinct before they reach old age?Thank God we had no Yuppies in our family.

"Yuppism... is not definable entirely by income or class. Rather, it is a late-20th century cultural phenomenon of self-absorbed young professionals, earning good pay, enjoying the cultural attractions of sophisticated urban life and thought, and generally out of touch with, indeed antithetical to, most of the challenges and concerns of a far less well-off and more parochial Middle America. For the yuppie male a well-paying job in tech, law, finance, academia or consulting in a cultural hub, hip fashion, cool appearance, studied poise, elite education, proper recreation and fitness and general proximity to liberal-thinking elites, especially of the more rarefied sort in the arts, are the mark of a real man." Wiki
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 06:53 PM

.....or,as we say,here in the gutter "Look at that jumped-up ponce,living WAAAAY beyond his means in a vain attempt to impress us working men,who pay our council-house rents,happily wear hand-me-downs,don't give a flying F#CK that the car is 3rd-hand,have NO idea who or WHY George Armani is,have a single grade C- geography certificate between us,[plus Our Jeff's C&G in metalwork]...and who live by the credo ''If it ain't on your hip,don't spend it-SOD credit cards!"
Incidentally....why 'Middle America'? They think yuppies were only to be found in 'Middle America'?
Is Murca really so unaware of trends,fashions,styles and fashions outside it's fetid shores?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-02-2016, 07:25 PM

You tell 'em Pug.

I betcha that 'Guy' in the photo with the brick to his ear is saying "Right! I'll be there in five"

Page 1 of 1676 1 2 3 11 51 101 501 1001 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top