Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Sugar tax?

I mentioned in a thead that a sugar tax would be forthcoming in the future. I put this 'future' at being in a few years time and I stand by it. What are some doctors calling for now?

Tax sugary drinks by 20%, say doctors
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33479118

This has already been implemented in such places as Mexico ...

Originally Posted by BBC News
The report said taxing specific food groups - such as the sugar drinks tax introduced in Mexico - were shown to cut consumption.
What I reckon will happen quite soon is a tax on ALL imported sugar and foods containing it. The money raised will help treat the people already suffering from obesity or could be used in other ways. I reckon this reasoning is right and the action I propose is a foregone conclusion considering that the NHS is going to collapse under the affect of ill fatties and that it has been estimated at least 30% of the UK will be obese by 2030.

Bring it on now if you ask me. So you sugar lovers you'd better get your fill now while the going is good .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Re: Sugar tax?

I can't see it making much difference unless they can make healthier foods like vegetables a lot cheaper people will still buy what tastes best.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can't see it making much difference unless they can make healthier foods like vegetables a lot cheaper people will still buy what tastes best.
It has been proved to work so you can't dispute it. When you hurt someone in their pocket they have to adjust whether they like it or not. Worked with cigarettes and booze.

What it will do is jump start the big supermarkets to produce healthier foods. This is absolutely vital.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 12:51 PM

I doubt a tax on sugar will make much difference to those who are addicted to it. The tax didn't make much difference to alcohol or cigarettes did it .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I doubt a tax on sugar will make much difference to those who are addicted to it. The tax didn't make much difference to alcohol or cigarettes did it .
You must be joking. Massive reduction in cigarette sales due to the imposed tax.

Originally Posted by nih.gov
For instance, increasing the price of cigarettes is a very effective policy tool for reducing smoking participation and consumption among youth, young adults and persons of low socioeconomic status.
Smoking is similar in some respects to sugar but people do not become sugar addicts unless their diet is screwed in other departments. A craving for sugar can be 'fixed'.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 01:03 PM

How much tax are we talking about though ? as my experience is sugary things are so cheap you would need to multiply the cost by 10 times or more to make a real sugar addict say no thank you.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 01:07 PM

They would need to make donuts over £1 each to make me think twice
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

17-07-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
How much tax are we talking about though ? as my experience is sugary things are so cheap you would need to multiply the cost by 10 times or more to make a real sugar addict say no thank you.
Well apparently a 10% tax on sugary drinks worked in Mexico.

Tax on fizzy drinks 'DOES help tackle obesity': But taxing ingredients like sugar 'would have an even bigger impact'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...er-impact.html

Why bugger about? Slap a tax on ALL sugar seems logical to me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Why don't they just pass a law to force them to cut down on sugar content !
20 spoonfuls in a drink is ridiculous around 7 in Tomato soup !
No wonder people get 'used' to the taste of sugar - stupid to let this go on
Its a simple solution to cut way down on salt and sugar in foods - just bloomin do it !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 01:23 PM

There's always the danger of smuggling, like with the tobacco over here, it costs so much now that folks are buying it from illegal dealers all over the country, it's big business and the government are getting screwed out of billions, you make something too costly and folks go elsewhere for it. The same thing could happen with Mars bars and flakes,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top