Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 01:14 PM

Pocket hotspot.

So that I can get more enjoyment from my new Hudl I was thinking of buying a Pocket Hotspot so I can have internet wherever I go. Long train/coach journeys would be a good example - also hotels that don't have wi-fi.

I don't intend to let the internet take over any future holidays I might have but it would be brilliant to play scrabble in bed at night and give me something to do while Tony has a nap in the late afternoon. (which he often does on holiday)

Does anyone have experience of these gadgets and can you advise on the most reliable one to purchase?

Thank you.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Re: Pocket hotspot.

Carol, I share the internet from my mobile phone if I want to use my hudl outwith my home. I only pay £15 a month for my calls, texts and internet. I get so much from that £15. Just an idea
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 01:35 PM

I've never heard of Pocket Hotspot, so very interested to know more. I'll have to go and have a Google too.

Just had a quick look and if I've understood the information, it uses Data similar to a mobile phone, which you have to pay for. Is this the sort of gadget you could use in a hotel instead of paying to use their wifi and would it be cheaper?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 01:57 PM

I don't know much about them myself DL but they do seem like a brilliant idea.

Alice I've only got a basic cheap Nokia phone. I think I would need a smart phone to do the same as you..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 02:00 PM

alice, that's called tethering and not all providers allow it.

I've just changed from Three (who do) to Lebara (who don't). So in future when I go away I either have to cope with the small screen of my iPhone or hope that if I take my new tablet there is wifi available.

Those providers who don't allow it threaten to disconnect your service if you try it. I did use it in the past with Three when I took my iPad away, especially in a caravan where there is absolutely no likelihood of wifi anywhere.

Carol, I have heard of pocket hotspots but not got it myself.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 03:31 PM

Jazzi, I've certainly never had any trouble being able to use it. My phone allows me to share internet. I'd hate to think I was doing something wrong though . You've scared me now [IMG]
[/IMG]
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Maybe your provider allows it? Do a Google search of their name, asking if you can tether.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

16-01-2015, 03:54 PM

I'm on All you can eat data, and I believe you can take advantage of tethering.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
alice, that's called tethering and not all providers allow it.
I've just changed from Three (who do) to Lebara (who don't). So in future when I go away I either have to cope with the small screen of my iPhone or hope that if I take my new tablet there is wifi available.
Those providers who don't allow it threaten to disconnect your service if you try it. I did use it in the past with Three when I took my iPad away, especially in a caravan where there is absolutely no likelihood of wifi anywhere.
Carol, I have heard of pocket hotspots but not got it myself.
I was just asking my wife if she'd come across "Pocket Hotspot" as I bought her a hudl for Christmas - she just said "Qué?"

You've lost me now with tethering..........out of touch with it all now!! stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

16-01-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I was just asking my wife if she'd come across "Pocket Hotspot" as I bought her a hudl for Christmas - she just said "Qué?"

You've lost me now with tethering..........out of touch with it all now!! stevmk2
Steve, it's when you connect a second device to your phone via Bluetooth and use its internet connection. This is for occasions when wifi is not available, either public, or in hotels etc.

Hope this satisfies you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top