Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 12:30 AM

Re: Church Attendance

Originally Posted by Cass ->
just one more example of how organised religion brainwashes the weak minded.
I know some highly intelligent people who belong to different churches ... It's hard to believe they're brainwashed...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 02:17 AM

there is a text somewhere in the new testament that is a sort of rationale for going to a church and says, I paraphrase: please do not stop gathering together but do so to help each other and nurture each other in Christs name
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I know some highly intelligent people who belong to different churches ... It's hard to believe they're brainwashed...
Intelligence has nothing to do with being brainwashed.

I said its an example of how organised religion brainwashes the weak minded..Even the most intelligent people in the world can be weak minded ie easily pursueded about something or feel the need to belong to a group or organisation in order to bolster their own confidence or well being.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Intelligence has nothing to do with being brainwashed.

I said its an example of how organised religion brainwashes the weak minded..Even the most intelligent people in the world can be weak minded ie easily pursueded about something or feel the need to belong to a group or organisation in order to bolster their own confidence or well being.
you are trying quite poorly to prove a point with logic - religion; beliefs; emotions etc are in a different realm - your simply logic doesn't work in these realms that's all!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
you are trying quite poorly to prove a point with logic - religion; beliefs; emotions etc are in a different realm - your simply logic doesn't work in these realms that's all!!
True .. logic has no place in the realm of the religious..
One reason I tend to avoid it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Some rather large assumptions in this thread, as bad as some religious people believing what has been said is that people assume we all do when it's not true at all. Dawkin's does it all the time - he is anti religion and doesn't seem to speak to anyone who doesn't prove his points which to me shows how little effort he puts into his writings - when faced with anything doesn't prove his point he ignores it. Seen him do it time and again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Yesterday my friend asked me to go with her to visit a woman from her Church in Hospital. This woman is very religious, Im told ,and she asked me which Church I was from. My friend told her that I do not go to Church, preferring to see God in the nature around us, but that I was a Christian. I could see her lips tighten with disapproval. It has irked me,why should people assume that as you dont go to Church you are not religious,or dont believe in God. I have my own views on religious and consider myself a good person,willing to help anyone if I can
Why should the reaction of someone you don't know 'irk you'.
Does it matter what other people 'assume'.

I am not religious I am a Humanist and what other people do or think of me is up to them, it is of no consequence to me.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Religion is just a belief and is only true to those who believe it, so none of us can say that a religion is right or wrong. The sentiments of Christianity seem good though, and I would hope we all, religious or not, would believe in things like the 10 commandments, which I think our laws are based on. I also think everyone could benefit from a little kindness, whether you give it or receive it.
Sadly this thread is about one lady in hospital, who believed that she was so right, that anyone who didn't think the way she did was wrong. I am sure we all know that is not the case because it is a persons attitude, not their religion, that makes them good people.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:01 AM

No point in discussing religion, unless you enjoy banging your head in a brick wall.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sadly this thread is about one lady in hospital, who believed that she was so right, that anyone who didn't think the way she did was wrong. I am sure we all know that is not the case because it is a persons attitude, not their religion, that makes them good people.
How do we know that, the OP said...

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Yesterday my friend asked me to go with her to visit a woman from her Church in Hospital. This woman is very religious, Im told ,and she asked me which Church I was from. My friend told her that I do not go to Church, preferring to see God in the nature around us, but that I was a Christian. I could see her lips tighten with disapproval. It has irked me,why should people assume that as you dont go to Church you are not religious,or dont believe in God. I have my own views on religious and consider myself a good person,willing to help anyone if I can
Maybe her lips tightened with pain.
I think people can be too ready to assume things about others.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top