Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 12:18 PM

Re: Are children just boisterous or have they got a problem?

Originally Posted by maursey ->
There was nothing wrong with those sproggs that a good old fashioned smack on the arse wouldn't have cured!
I so agree with you Boozercruiser. Although I am against spanking now I use to give my children a smack when they misbehaved and as they have said to me many a time Quote..."It didn't do us any harm Mum."[/QUOTE]

That reminds me.
When I was in my early teens I had tries on a few drags with a couple of cigarettes.
My father found out.

He sat me on a chair and said...
So you want to smoke do you Kenneth?
Well lets try this shall we?
He then proceeded to light up his pipe and stuck it in my mouth and said.
Go on. smoke on that, and he made me suck in the pipe smoke till I was almost sick.
But I tell you what guys. I have never smoked from that day to this, so he did me the biggest favour ever that day, and I thank him for this.
Any father doing that today though would in all probability end up with me in care, and him in prison!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I so agree with you Boozercruiser. Although I am against spanking now I use to give my children a smack when they misbehaved and as they have said to me many a time Quote..."It didn't do us any harm Mum."
That reminds me.
When I was in my early teens I had tries on a few drags with a couple of cigarettes.
My father found out.

He sat me on a chair and said...
So you want to smoke do you Kenneth?
Well lets try this shall we?
He then proceeded to light up his pipe and stuck it in my mouth and said.
Go on. smoke on that, and he made me suck in the pipe smoke till I was almost sick.
But I tell you what guys. I have never smoked from that day to this, so he did me the biggest favour ever that day, and I thank him for this.
Any father doing that today though would in all probability end up with me in care, and him in prison! [/QUOTE]

I totally agree! A bit of strong discipline teaches children right from wrong and the law that prevents us smacking children was created to stop the criminals who beat children to excess. It doesn't have to be physical discipline but children need to be told if they do something wrong, so they can learn from it, but too many modern parents are more interested in pleasing their kids than teaching them how to behave. Somebody told me yesterday the the boy in Scotland, who has killed another pupil with a knife, was probably under more pressure than we ever were. Even if he was, a boy who thinks that killing somebody will relieve that pressure needs a psychiatrist or parents who had taught him the right way to behave!
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:41 PM

What about those kids in our younger years who were absolute devils. Does that mean they had ADHD or were eating the wrong kind of food. I do feel so sorry for genuine cases but these days it seems lots of kids who behave badly are labeled ill and are given tablets to make them almost drowsy. I know, as two in my family are being treated like this yet to me they are just kids being disobedient like those I knew in my younger years.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 07:58 PM

What about those kids in our younger years who were absolute devils. Does that mean they had ADHD or were eating the wrong kind of food. I do feel so sorry for genuine cases but these days it seems lots of kids who behave badly are labeled ill and are given tablets to make them almost drowsy. I know, as two in my family are being treated like this yet to me they are just kids being disobedient like those I knew in my younger years.

I agree with every word you say there maursey.

And let us not forget this...

If a Sprogg is diagnosed with ADHD then the parent will qualify for all sorts of cash and other benefits which can include free bus travel for the sprogg plus the parent as carer.

I also wonder that when they grow up, how many of them will be nasty, selfish and thoughtless adults as well?
After all, they will never have had any discipline taught to them now, will they?
Spots never change colour!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Another point ..societies expectations.

Say a child has ADHD or a problem on the Autism spectrum such as my second son has and lots of people will write off the child with regard to academic qualifications.
I was told not to bother academically with my ADHD son who also has Dyslexia(real) and a neurological problem which causes hand tremors.
I was told he would be lucky to leave school with a basic leaving cert and I shouldnt build his hopes up..

That hopeless case is now and international IT consultant who speaks 3 languages fluently and is passable in at least two others.

To parents of ADHD or autistic children ..Set your own goals dont be put off or told your child cant achieve what they want..
That is such a heart warming post, Cass. Well done to you for not writing him off, and well done to him for his achievements.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I agree with every word you say there maursey.

And let us not forget this...

If a Sprogg is diagnosed with ADHD then the parent will qualify for all sorts of cash and other benefits which can include free bus travel for the sprogg plus the parent as carer.

I also wonder that when they grow up, how many of them will be nasty, selfish and thoughtless adults as well?
After all, they will never have had any discipline taught to them now, will they?
Spots never change colour!

Errrr do they pay in arrears? If so Ive got a tidy sum to come.
I never claimed for nor received a penny for my son including the two years I home schooled him because the state school system ignored his problems..

Yet again youre lumping everyone in one group and tarring us all with the same brush.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 04:55 PM

Another point ..societies expectations.

Say a child has ADHD or a problem on the Autism spectrum such as my second son has and lots of people will write off the child with regard to academic qualifications.
I was told not to bother academically with my ADHD son who also has Dyslexia(real) and a neurological problem which causes hand tremors.
I was told he would be lucky to leave school with a basic leaving cert and I shouldnt build his hopes up..

That hopeless case is now and international IT consultant who speaks 3 languages fluently and is passable in at least two others.

To parents of ADHD or autistic children ..Set your own goals dont be put off or told your child cant achieve what they want..
Absolutely Cass I used to give voluntary relief care to the parents of a couple of children with Autism, demanding certainly but each with their own special qualities
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 05:01 PM

There was nothing wrong with those sproggs that a good old fashioned smack on the arse wouldn't have cured!
When you give 'a good old fashioned smack' to a child you are teaching it that violence is an acceptable way to solve arguments .

How can anyone who smacks a child complain when that child then goes on to use violence on others when their parents have clearly demonstrated that it is an acceptable thing to do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-10-2015, 05:19 PM

It appears that some children who misbehave seem to have some sort of illness.
I often wonder if they just need checking instead of dosing them up with pills.

One in my family says her little boy has ADHD. He seemed absolutely fine just a boisterous child. Now he is being dosed up with tablets that make him very quiet.
So many I know about, that this is happening to them.
There was a very interesting series of programmes on Channel 4 not long ago I think it was called 'Born Naughty' they are I think still available on Ch4 catchup.

Each of the children had severe behaviour problems and some were labelled 'naughty'.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...os/all/trailer

Their lives and those of their parents were changed when these children were given the correct assessments, diagnosis and treatment often including behaviour modification programmes.
All too many children are written off as 'naughty' when they clearly have some kind of underlying problem.

I am also horrified when out and about with the way some parents speak to and treat their children, shouting and swearing but offering no clear boundaries or guidance.
It is no wonder some children behave badly when no one has taken the time and trouble to explain what behaviour is acceptable and to set punishments which do not involve violence then carry them through.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

31-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Errrr do they pay in arrears? If so Ive got a tidy sum to come.
I never claimed for nor received a penny for my son including the two years I home schooled him because the state school system ignored his problems..

Yet again youre lumping everyone in one group and tarring us all with the same brush.
Sorry Cass, I didn't mean to offend you.
I do realise of course that many parents are only interested in the the welfare of the child, just like you. Not in how many benefits they can claim.
BUT, if your child really does genuinely seriously have that condition, and I don't deny that in extreme circumstances they exist.
Then as I understand things then one can claim some sort of disability benefit for it.
And you should!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top