Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Re: Who pays ?

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I think it's good to show solidarity, and respect for the dead officer.

I also believe that although there are many murder victims who also deserve to be in our thoughts, this officer was on the sharp end of law enforcement - he died doing his job which includes protecting the public from the lowlife and his mates who actually killed him - I wouldn't begrudge the money spent on his funeral.
I agree Jennifer every day the police risk their lives in the line of duty, if fellow officers wish to show their support for a murdered colleague that is fine by me.

It must have been very gratifying for his wife and children to see the level of support for a husband/father and something they will never forget in the dark days to come ..
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:22 PM

I do not begrudge some of them being paid while attending this funeral, some of them may not be able to afford to lose a days pay to attend. But it did cross my mind ' Who was on duty while all these were at the funeral, Were crimes not being reported ?Who was dealing with ANY complaints/crimes?'
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:41 PM

My thoughts exactly. And with all the crimes going on in the UK, it is only fortunate that no big criminal decided to put a plan in motion whilst 2,000 officers were "otherwise engaged".
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:49 PM

I don't begrudge his colleagues attending his funeral and showing solidarity. He deserves the recognition as do his family. Terrible that his family are robbed of a daddy and a husband forever... what a mean society we would be not to show appreciation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't begrudge his colleagues attending his funeral and showing solidarity. He deserves the recognition as do his family. Terrible that his family are robbed of a daddy and a husband forever... what a mean society we would be not to show appreciation.

I agree summer I don't even care if it came out of our taxes although it clearly didn't.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I do not begrudge some of them being paid while attending this funeral, some of them may not be able to afford to lose a days pay to attend. But it did cross my mind ' Who was on duty while all these were at the funeral, Were crimes not being reported ?Who was dealing with ANY complaints/crimes?'
Hi

Police work shifts, you are allowed to attend in your own time, not when you are supposed to be at work.

If you are supposed to be at work, you must arrange another officer to cover.

I was attached to the Police for a few years, they are very big on honouring colleagues killed on duty.

Police shift patterns are weird, they have to be on duty when most crime occurs, depending on your speciality.

The team I worked with did 37 hours over 3 days a week, then 4 days off normally, but if there was a big job on, you could work 12 hours a day for ten or eleven days straight.

Plays havoc with your social life and your sleep patterns.

I do not begrudge them anything,
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:51 PM

They should do something similar for all police officers, to show support and that they all stand shoulder to shoulder against crime.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Seen a bit of the funeral on TV, a fine and fitting tribute to a man who gave his life in the performance of his duty, God rest his soul. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that turnout, what's money when a young life is lost.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 12:05 AM

Strange but I found the brotherhood solidarity for each other rather sinister when thinking about the bigger picture.

No disrespect to such a tragic and senseless loss.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Seen a bit of the funeral on TV, a fine and fitting tribute to a man who gave his life in the performance of his duty, God rest his soul. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that turnout, what's money when a young life is lost.
Amen to that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top